WATER CHEMISTRY

Is it possible to over mineralize your water changes when adding to your RO water? What would one expect ? Changes in shrimp coloration? I swear my chrystal shrimp  lose their white color and either turns reddish /clear. I do not remineralize my one tank when I do my water changes and the crystals are holding onto their white color. 

I think I have all the shrimp experts here stumped on this one .  I am now not going to use salty shrimp mineralization powder in my main crystal shrimp tank see if they color back up. I will continue using RO water during my 10-20% water changes. My TDS is reading at 100 ppm. 

Yes, it is possible to over-mineralize your water changes. Too much or too little will stress your shrimp. Match the parameters of your water change to the parameters in your tank. If you need to adjust the parameters in your tank, then do it slowly, as shrimp prefer stability above all else. I used to do 20% weekly water changes on all my tanks, but backed off to 10% every two weeks on my PRLs and Taiwan Bees, which are a bit more sensitive. I still do 20% water changes with my Neos and Tigers, but every other week.

Like most hobbies, shrimpkeeping goes through cycles of highs and lows, and hobbyists come and go. You'll find many posts on this site written by much more experienced and knowledgeable shrimpers than I, who are either taking a break from the forum or shrimpkeeping in general. So seek out their posts where you can. We'll try to help out when you're stumped. There's also a few Facebook groups dedicated to shrimpkeeping that are a bit more active, and you may find more responsive users there. You'll lose the anonymity, but might make a new friend or two ;)

If you add to much minerals to the water you can expect two things - deaths if the change was sudden(spike in tds) as this causes gill damage. This is ehy most use a drops metod when doing water changes and acclimating new shrimp. The other thing can be difficulty to moult - to much minerals and the shrimp shell will get too hard for the shrimp to moult succesfully.

Bear in mind that if the shrimp are looking their colour there can be many factor which cause this. The discolouration tells us that the shrimp is in poor condition nothing else.