Inert Soil for CRS/TB?

I’ve always used ADA soil for my CRS/TB tanks. It just made me feel safer J I’ll be using RO with Salty Shrimp GH+. I’ll use a DIY undergravel filter with some clay and Mosura mud underneath it. K will be 0-1 most likely. I’d love to save some money this time on the soil. I know, I know – don’t skimp. This time though things are tight and that may be what it takes to get a tank going. Is it feasible to go this route? I would think it would theoretically work, but be risky due to possible wild KH swings if anything gets added to the tank? Could I add some leaves or cones to the tank as a pH stabilizer?

• 2 weeks later...

Usually the problem is keeping the ph low enough for those shrimp. You will need some kind od filter media to do it, and if you have never done that before you can get some wild ph fluctuations. Alder cones and leaves alone wont be enough.

On 1/5/2017 at 4:36 PM, Chocobo said:

I’ve always used ADA soil for my CRS/TB tanks. It just made me feel safer J I’ll be using RO with Salty Shrimp GH+. I’ll use a DIY undergravel filter with some clay and Mosura mud underneath it. K will be 0-1 most likely. I’d love to save some money this time on the soil. I know, I know – don’t skimp. This time though things are tight and that may be what it takes to get a tank going. Is it feasible to go this route? I would think it would theoretically work, but be risky due to possible wild KH swings if anything gets added to the tank? Could I add some leaves or cones to the tank as a pH stabilizer?

Open that dam wallet! Soil is sooooo important . Why skimp  on da shrimp ?:money:

4 hours ago, easyshrimp said:

I use inert sand for all my shrimp. Have done so for over 10 years. Neocaridina, CRS, TB etc. and never had any problems with breeding or anything else.

It can be done and in my opinion it is not dangerous. I know several people who do the same.

I agree and do the same, but It took me a while to keep and breed taiwans on inert. Due to this I would never advise someone to learn on an already functioning colony. Too easy to get something wrong and wipe out all shrimp.

On 1/18/2017 at 10:53 AM, Tibee Inc said:

Does anyone here know if ADA Power Sand is inert?  The reason I ask is that I've always mixed it w/buffered soils.

Not 100% sure, but now you mention it I just started using Power Sand in all of my shrimp tanks, my thoughts were that it is inert since it is some sort of "volcanic rubble".

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:05 PM, DETAquarium said:

Not 100% sure, but now you mention it I just started using Power Sand in all of my shrimp tanks, my thoughts were that it is inert since it is some sort of "volcanic rubble".

Thx D, I agree w/you that its pretty much inert but still a great product for shrimp tanks.  With that said, I've looked far & wide for solid info it influences pH before posting here.