My shrimp room in the workings

shamedic

So I have made up my mined to sell the 240G and get a few more 40g breeders.The place where the 240g sits I can put 4 40gallon breeders long ways. So I put the 240G on craigslist  a few days ago and plan to pick up one more 40G breeder before the petco sale ends. in the end I plan on having 8 40G. hear is where I need you what would be a good neo to get I was looking at some green ones not sure what they are called but are very nice or I was thinking about some yellow Or try my hand at some tigers but I read that the OEBT don't breed true so what do you do with the ones that dont come out true im not willing to kill or use them as feeders can they breed OEBTs? what are some other names of tigers that look nice I can look up. im not looking to sell the shrimp just love watching them with my sons

• 2 weeks later...

have someone coming to look at the 240g within the next few days. and I got the next 40g shrimp tank :-) im going to make it a tiger tank not sure what ones yet tho. the thing I need to know is what substrate should I use my Ph is about 8.0 out of the tap I don't have an RO unit and don't think ill be getting one any time soon. And will the tap water brake down the substrate faster then RO water?

OEBT can be alot more challenging then Neos -- and if you are "new" shrimp keeper I wouldn't really put my money into OEBT.... Not to discourage you at all. If you feel you are at the level to keep and breed OEBT then that is awesome :D

Also If you are starting with 40 Gallon Breeders for your colony - its best to start with a good number of shrimp. I find personally when I get like 10-20 shrimp to start I start with a ten gallon. Everyone is berried up quickly because the space is smaller... You can keep lots of shrimp in a ten gallon tank. 

Wondering if anyone here is using 40 gallon breeders and the success with starting a colony in them... versus smaller tanks. Your post made me think about the pros and cons of using a large tank for shrimp.

Blue tigers don't breed completely true. The % of Blues you get depends on the quality of the line they are from. Blonde (non blue tigers) can still produce blue offspring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My cherrys I got are in a 40g and I have over 100 little ones and they are about a month old started with 50. But you are right about the tirgers being harder and I don't know if I could keep them being so new I wouldn't want to send them on a death sentence. I was also looking at aquabid at 

Bioaquatix has some green shrimp but I'm not sure what there name is or if they are imports that are going to have a large die off has anyone ordered from him or seen his shrimp?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So the cherrys are getting an upgrade from the 20l into the 40g breeder next week. And I think green jades are the next neos I'm getting. Do you think 30 green jades in a 20L is a good number to start with? The pic is the 40g with a Corner HMF powered by a 80gph pump. I need one nice size plant for it still and a smaller heater that can fit in the back of the HMF so I can take out the 300 watt

IMG_0836.JPG

so I came home from work last night to find my air pump had died so it was a race to the store to get 24 gallons of distilled water. got home and drained all the tap water out of the tank and started mixing water with SS. I used 20 gallons of new water and used the 20 gallons from the 20L that the cherrys were in to fill it back up then it was time to try and get the shrimp out LOL OMAN what a job. I must of had 50 babys in there with about 40 full size ended up using some air line to suck the babys up to move them into the 40g. got up this morning to fined a lot of molts and ZERO dead the 40g has a 80gph pump that runs the HMF but ill be shopping for a new air pump now. Let hope when I get home in the morning there are no dead.