How to test rocks for aquarium?

dao

Simple question - how do you test rocks before placing them in aquarium? 

It is said that all rocks influence water parameters in some way and I have recently bought some lava, i prepared some buckets filled with ro and the rocks raises tds, gh and kh noticably (gh 3 kh 1 after 48h). After 48 hours the tds went up from 12 to around 40-50. So I called the shop and they told me that when you put rocks into ro something like this will always happen and should i test the rocks in tap there would not be a notocable raise in tds. Your thought on this? 

i've heard people say put vinegar on the rock,if it bubbles it will affect the water.

it may raise TDS,but you don't want a change in ph,gh,kh.

normally rocks like lava rock for aquarium are treated before packaged.

i think they do a acid dip.

soaking in a solution of regular bleach and water may do the same thing.

i don't use rocks,so maybe someone that does will chime in.:)

if you use vinegar,wash very well.

if you use bleach,soak with a solution of water and dechlorinator until the smell of bleach is gone.

5 hours ago, dao said:

Simple question - how do you test rocks before placing them in aquarium? 

It is said that all rocks influence water parameters in some way and I have recently bought some lava, i prepared some buckets filled with ro and the rocks raises tds, gh and kh noticably (gh 3 kh 1 after 48h). After 48 hours the tds went up from 12 to around 40-50. So I called the shop and they told me that when you put rocks into ro something like this will always happen and should i test the rocks in tap there would not be a notocable raise in tds. Your thought on this? 

Hey Dao, I wouldn't use any rocks in my shrimp tanks just to keep things simple & successful.  The reason I say this is because a swing of just 15 TDS can be lethal to a majority of freshwater inverts....

muriatic acid is the best acid for testing rocks, but vinegar will work.  with the muriatic acid it only takes a few drops.  If it starts to fizz or bubble it will change your parameters a lot.  With the vinegar, if you have any rocks small enough to go in a clear glass or bowl, then cover with vinegar it will produce bubbles.  (note oxygen will be trapped in the holes of the rock and will escape, but that looks different)

I have never tried lava rock with the ro water test.  I have always been told lava rock was inert.  I guess as porous as lava rock is, there may be something down in some of the pores causing the change in parameters.