Hydra And Planaria In My Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

I have nano tank 18 x 10 x 10 inch. It is heavily planted with plants. Stone and drift wood. I have DIY CO2.I have 11 Fire Red Shrimp. 

They never eat, I added hikari food but they ignore it and never eat. After that I never added food.

Suddenly i saw hydra and planaria in my tank, due to that my shrimp hide always. May be that is the reason my shrimp never eat. Now I bought Fish Bendazole Forte Powder 250mg from ebay

Kindly somebody tell me that, how can I use that to remove hydra and planaria. I have heard that they can kill red cherry shrimp, is it true ?

Please give me some good advice on it.

I just had this problem about 3 weeks ago I went to a chain pet store and got Fenbendazole for the dog section Panacur c I think it was it comes in 3 1g packs. in a clean water bottle put 200 mL of water and add a drop or two of prime. I then poured a full 1 gram packet into the water and shake it till your arm falls off. then use  0.1 grams per 10 gallons, this is the minimum dose, the only dose safe for shrimp I read. Since the recommended dose was 0.1 gram per 10 gallons. I measured out approximately 20 mL of the white water with a syringe. Squirt the solution directly on all the visible Hydra and Planaria. Then stick the syringe into the gravel (Which is where the planaria live and breed) and squirted a few mL per about say 6 square inches the next day I did a water change and redid all the steps on the 3rd day they all died off and I did one more water change and gravel vac and that was it. So its 20 ml per 10 us gallons of the solution. the Hydra can sting the shrimp and kill them. I hope this was helpful for you.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/step-by-step-how-to-kill-planaria-and-hydra-231872.html this is where I got my info from plz read it over a lot of info

Neal

Planaria and hydra treatment using fenbendazole 

These are my notes and method , I have confidence in Fenbendazole IE as a worm treatment in very expensive animals it's manufactured to strict controls , however using chemicals is a decision we all must make. Also I don't keep snails that if it caused there death could cause an ammonia spike , 

Fenbendazole  usually comes in 3 X sachets , there's many brands, IE panacur etc  1 sachet contains 222mg 

Making it mix and soluable with water is important 
I used a small pill crusher to make it finer for water suspension , you could do the same and grind with a spoon maybe even before you open the sachet, especially important if it's granules and not fine powder

(1).  Fill 200 ml of RO water or tank water into jug and empty in 1 full sachet and stir lightly

(2)  Pour jug into a small plastic bottle food grade or coffee jar make sure all chemical goes in 

(3). Shake bottle like mad to make it into a suspension then pour back into jug

Dosage 

I used a 60 ml Syringe with a bit of 6 "" airline to suck up the dose and direct it into tank for all over distribution

My tank was a 70 litre so I treated for a 60 litre water capacity and used 32 ml

On my small 30 litre I used 16 ml

It looks like a white gas when added so I stirred with a plastic ruler for even distribution I believe for complete eradication it's important to distribute the chemical over all of the tank.

Repeated same dosage  24 hours later and done a 10% water change next evening.
When second treatment finished again 24 hours later I did a 10% water change and although not required if you want a few days on you could put in a small internal filter stuffed with carbon 
Water parameters never altered IE ph, TDS and ammonia levels 

Just stop feeding them food that they do not eat within a hour, planaria will eventually go away.  Try feeding them frozen peas (remove outside), blanched zuccini or fluval shrimp granules.  Better yet, ask the person you got them from what they were fed.  Depending on the stock, some RCS prefer totally different feed even tho they are the same type. I would try to avoid chemicals at all costs...

I keep reading cut down on food planaria will,go,away, or planaria is caused by overfeeding ,this is one of the most flawed and repeated advice that continually crops up.

I eradicated hydra and planaria and pest snails from all my tanks over 16 months ago , my tanks breed excellent and have big populations so,I,can feed accordingly but never see a planaria worm if there not there even gross overfeeding won't create them, 

Yes if your tanks have lots of newborns and all sizes of babies proper feeding for growth will,see the planaria population if you have them grow with feeding but to starve or seriously cut down is not sensible answer is forget traps syphoning just use fenbendazole correctly , mixed properly it looks like a white gas when added to tank secret is stirring it for all over cover , hydra die in 4 to 6 hours most planaria first treatment but I did notice tiny planaria on the glass think trying to escape the soil second treatment eradicated them , one of my tanks is still on same soil 16 months later and breeds great with excellent baby survival, 

just watch planaria glide into a moss ball etc  and you will realise how they  catch babies , I have posted above my method you don't even need a scale just work out tank water capacity deducting soil rocks etc , I will point out I did not keep fancy snails or mts only pest snails but they survived till I eradicated them , never lost a single shrimp

On 2/8/2017 at 9:46 PM, Clansman said:

I keep reading cut down on food planaria will,go,away, or planaria is caused by overfeeding ,this is one of the most flawed and repeated advice that continually crops up.

I eradicated hydra and planaria and pest snails from all my tanks over 16 months ago , my tanks breed excellent and have big populations so,I,can feed accordingly but never see a planaria worm if there not there even gross overfeeding won't create them, 

Yes if your tanks have lots of newborns and all sizes of babies proper feeding for growth will,see the planaria population if you have them grow with feeding but to starve or seriously cut down is not sensible answer is forget traps syphoning just use fenbendazole correctly , mixed properly it looks like a white gas when added to tank secret is stirring it for all over cover , hydra die in 4 to 6 hours most planaria first treatment but I did notice tiny planaria on the glass think trying to escape the soil second treatment eradicated them , one of my tanks is still on same soil 16 months later and breeds great with excellent baby survival, 

just watch planaria glide into a moss ball etc  and you will realise how they  catch babies , I have posted above my method you don't even need a scale just work out tank water capacity deducting soil rocks etc , I will point out I did not keep fancy snails or mts only pest snails but they survived till I eradicated them , never lost a single shrimp

Agree that you don't get planaria by overfeeding. You get it by introducing it into your tank as a hitchhiker, where overfeeding simply allows them to thrive.

What kind of shrimp were you keeping in tanks with fenbendazole dosing? Were they hardier strains or more sensitive/high grade Caridina?

21 hours ago, ibebian said:

Agree that you don't get planaria by overfeeding. You get it by introducing it into your tank as a hitchhiker, where overfeeding simply allows them to thrive.

What kind of shrimp were you keeping in tanks with fenbendazole dosing? Were they hardier strains or more sensitive/high grade Caridina?

No I only keep and breed caridina all types and high grade prl, and of course I realise planaria and hydra come in on plants , wood moss etc that's why since eradicating them I dip,all plants , boil wood etc I even once got planaria in the water of new shrimp I got shipped , but I am on many groups and there are those who,think overfeeding is the cause which is astonishing , 

fenbendazloe will in 5 years or so will become a common standard treatment , Why some shrimp keepers prefer no planaria is strange just because labelled and sold as a shrimp,product. Dog and cat wormer Ie Fenbendazole was produced and manufactured as a wormer to,strict controls same product year in year out, over 20 years ago,I,owned Select Discus bred mostly German lines my youngsters got to,4 to 6 weeks went black gasping at water surface and died, I tried every over the counter Gill fluke treatment with no success , I wrote to a European reknowned fish disease expert Untergasser who told me to use a pig wormer Ie flubenol yes it worked and I bred and raised over 6000 discus , today it's a common standard treatment , 

I don't fear chemicals like fenbendazole indeed I think they can be a shrimp keepers friend , of the 4 tanks I treated 3 have been re set with new active soil but the fourth is a 70 litre still going on same  akadama 16 months after treating this tank has produced excellent indeed still is.

No I only keep and breed caridina all types and high grade prl, and of course I realise planaria and hydra come in on plants , wood moss etc that's why since eradicating them I dip,all plants , boil wood etc I even once got planaria in the water of new shrimp I got shipped , but I am on many groups and there are those who,think overfeeding is the cause which is astonishing , 
fenbendazloe will in 5 years or so will become a common standard treatment , Why some shrimp keepers prefer no planaria is strange just because labelled and sold as a shrimp,product. Dog and cat wormer Ie Fenbendazole was produced and manufactured as a wormer to,strict controls same product year in year out, over 20 years ago,I,owned Select Discus bred mostly German lines my youngsters got to,4 to 6 weeks went black gasping at water surface and died, I tried every over the counter Gill fluke treatment with no success , I wrote to a European reknowned fish disease expert Untergasser who told me to use a pig wormer Ie flubenol yes it worked and I bred and raised over 6000 discus , today it's a common standard treatment , 
I don't fear chemicals like fenbendazole indeed I think they can be a shrimp keepers friend , of the 4 tanks I treated 3 have been re set with new active soil but the fourth is a 70 litre still going on same  akadama 16 months after treating this tank has produced excellent indeed still is.

Wow that's a lot of discus!

I have some on hand but have never used. What dosage do you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, ibebian said:

19 hours ago, ibebian said:

Yes my self and pal were semi commercial I did the breeding and raising to 8'weeks then he reared and sold , I mostly reared eggs away from parents so much more productive but I did let some parents fear for the pleasure . 

If it's Fenbendazole your asking dosage I posted my method and dosage it's on this post