Bad news

shamedic

My cherrys died over the last 12 hrs 20+ have died so far not sure what's going on the only new item that has been going in the tank is Baxter ae and even that I'm only doing half a scoop on a 40breeder every other day tested water all looks good my gh and kh test should be here day from amazon so that will tell me the rest not sure what I should do with the rest of them I could set up a 20 long and put the in that 

Use RO water. I have no problems with all my shrimp colonies -never see dead shrimp. Use a good buffering substrate. Never trust tap water. TDS a bit on the high end but not dangerously high . I remineralize with salty GH+ and get my TDS between 120-150 and Im good

Gh 6-8 and Kh 1-2 with inert substrate.    Remove 30% and replace with bottled distilled water or R/O to bring down KH and then remineralize to get GH after dilution of tank water.  Everyone on SS helped me to understand all the needs of shrimp.  After this crisis research past posts for specifics and keep a little notebook with information gleaned as I do.

Sounds like there might be other possible factors such as bacterial, viral, or infectious disease. I've bred cherries using conditioned tap water with tds over 500 ppm so I doubt that's the cause of your shrimps dying. I find that the most important thing when keeping shrimps is stability so any sudden changes can also lead to problems.

20 minutes ago, shamedic said:

Ya its tap water

That could be the problem right there. Your municipality could be using harmful chemicals to the shrimp in their process to clean their water prior to delivering it to customers. It can vary from time to time. However RO water never varies always the same which is the purest form of water. My water comes out with a TDS of 3 PPM . Let me tell ya my shrimp love it ! They are thriving and multiplying. Ive learned that stable water parameters is so important . Swings in ph ,temperature, ect can stress them out and possibly death. I am by no means an expert here .However, Ive been extremely successful with zero loss in many ,many ,many months.

you numbers are not too high that would cause mass death.

did you do a water change before the deaths started?

you have a small colony,right?

it could be your over feeding.

stop using Baxter ae.

you may be using too much for the amount of shrimp and too often.

i would't worry about the water until you get the ro unit.

rule out what you can first.

people have killed shrimp from Baxter ae.

you use very little.

when i used it,i took a fork...half a prong was the amount i used.

though on 10g's,it was for a few dozen to few hundred shrimp.

once a week.

It said to use 1 a day errrrr so I thought I was good with half everyday. That suck over half of them where fire grade even a few with eggs ok so I ordered salty shrimp min gh/kh now I just need to find a place for RO water my store only has distilled water can I use that or should I make sure it's RO

will this lower my ph as well. I cant wait to get this stuff. going to do 2+ gallon wc as soon as I get it. its driving me nuts that they stared to die. I set up a 20L last night and put them in it with the old filters washed the tank with white vinegar and boiled the sand going to get the distilled water tonight after work I hate 12 shift work cant get anything done.....

any one know what kind of bug this is they are in the sand of my tank even after I boiled it....so small I almost cant see them I think they are called seed shrimp or Cyclops this is not my tank just looking on yt to find videos on them. are the safe ?

I have the same worms in one of my shrimp tank . Do not feed and they will disappear. Not sure if they are safe or not. I know one thing my shrimp loss is zero so Id say they are safe. Yes you should be fine , the salty shrimp simply helps with their molts adding minerals to the water which help the weak shell get stronger.