Bad news

shamedic

For what it's worth, when I added a tiny bit of Bacter AE to an existing tank, I lost about half the shrimp in the tank. And, if you do some research on reviews for that product, you'll see that can happen. Some people use it as a regular food source, and they have no issues. But, aside from starting new tanks, I won't be using that in my tanks ever again. 

I have never used Bacter AE and i have great success. I wouldn't use it if will wipe out a colony if a tad too much is added. Thats why I dont use Flourish excel . Similar results if you use a bit too much , BAM ! there goes all your shrimp. Too fine a line for me to you such a product.

Never Heard of anyone losing shrimp to Bacter AE, SHAMEDIC was using way way too much for a 40 gallon and using that amount every other day can for sure kill shrimp due to bad water quality, I feed different powders but always use a very tiny amount, Some powders are high in protein and can cause bad water quality if not properly fed.

3 hours ago, Uriel RT said:

Never Heard of anyone losing shrimp to Bacter AE, SHAMEDIC was using way way too much for a 40 gallon and using that amount every other day can for sure kill shrimp due to bad water quality, I feed different powders but always use a very tiny amount, Some powders are high in protein and can cause bad water quality if not properly fed.

Does the label explain clearly how much to use?

when I was using it I tested my water and tds every other day and is was good. I think it was my GH/KH that killed them off in a few weeks when I know all is well I will try just a tad bit and see how it goes. ill post an update and let you all know. but for now I need to get a glass lid for my 20g long prob tomorrow the evap is nuts with 3 sponge filters in it and I might need a new LED light because the one I have is for a 36 inch tank.Have any of you looked at the LED flood lights on amazon was thinking about getting a few 10-20 watts for when I build the shrimp rack I might just go with 20 longs and not 40g breeders not sure yet I rly want the big colony of shrimps tho

27 minutes ago, shamedic said:

when I was using it I tested my water and tds every other day and is was good. I think it was my GH/KH that killed them off in a few weeks when I know all is well I will try just a tad bit and see how it goes. ill post an update and let you all know. but for now I need to get a glass lid for my 20g long prob tomorrow the evap is nuts with 3 sponge filters in it and I might need a new LED light because the one I have is for a 36 inch tank.Have any of you looked at the LED flood lights on amazon was thinking about getting a few 10-20 watts for when I build the shrimp rack I might just go with 20 longs and not 40g breeders not sure yet I rly want the big colony of shrimps tho

Sounds like my man wants to get into making some cash!:money:

naw I just love watching them after work. I work for the us gov 12-16 hrs a shift and its 50/50 days and night + they can make you come in on your days off for 8 hrs so what time I do get off its spent with the kids wife and shrimp or hiking the smoky mountains