Beginner with two Berried Mommas

mlolm

Hi Guys, I'm new to the hobby and to this site. I just got my second tank (fluval edge 2 40gal). I set it up a little over a month ago and so far the plants are starting to grow, the water seems OK, and my shrimp seem happy. I have 3 bloody marys and 2 blue dreams. The blue dreams are juveniles and the bloody marrys are mature. Two of the bloody marys have been berried for about 3 weeks and im starting to get anxious for my first momma to give birth to her shrimplets. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can/should do in preparation. I believe the tank is cycled, i used some medium from my other tank to jumpstart it when I set it up about 5 weeks ago. The water seems to be doing OK, TDS is high but I think thats due to my tapwater. I use dechlorinator whenever i top up the tank, so far no water changes yet as it doesnt seem to be necessary. Since its a new tank there is not a ton of algae for babies to eat, so I hope they wont starve. I read about Bacter AE as a good food for babies, but also read alot of horror stories of shrimp dying and that it can be tricky to use. Right now i feed 2 pellets to the shrimp and they usually devour it in about 12 hours. I can post a photo of my tank if anyone wants ot have a look and give advice. I also have a snail in there who is happily munching on stuff and dropping some, as i read, healthy poo for the shrimp to eat.

Eventually I will add my betta in there once the babies are big enough. It feels like the momma has been berried since I got her about 3-4 weeks ago, wondering if something is wrong. She still has eggs under her belly from what I can see.

I would add, there are these little white lice looking creatures swimming near the substrate and around the tank. I had the same exact thing in my other tank and eventually they went away, maybe my betta ate them? They are really tiny, about the size of a pinhead, and white. They swim in a jerky fashion. I dont think they are baby shrimp, those should be bigger right? Also hope they are not dangerous to the shrimp in some way. It seems like they came from the substrate, or from the hardscape. Not sure really, but its interesting they are now appearing in my new tank as well.

They are Cyclops and are harmless. Im not sure sure about putting a Better in with baby shrimp swimming around. Id be afraid he will eat them. Try and get an RO system when you can to ensure good water. 

Just now, DA SHRIMP KID said:

They are Cyclops and are harmless. Im not sure sure about putting a Better in with baby shrimp swimming around. Id be afraid he will eat them. Try and get an RO system when you can to ensure good water. 

Thanks Man. My water definately could be better, tap isnt great, its high PH about 8, and high TDS about 380 out of the tap. RO seems expensive, and my GF is freaking out every time i buy more gear :D The shrimp seem be to be doing OK so far with my tap water maybe they will adjust and be OK with it.

As for the betta, as i said, will definately wait until the babies get big enough before adding my betta.

Cheers!

I didnt have problem with my betta and adult shrimp in my other tank. My plan was to let this round of babies grow big enough that my betta will leave them alone, then add my betta as population control for future spawns.

From my experience, bettas attack anything that moves, even adult shrimp...i would be careful.  Also check your gh/kh levels, a lot of people ignore this and PH swings/molting problems will eventually kill your shrimplets.  I believe KH need to be around 3-6 and GH between 7-9 for RCS.  Careful with the PPM too, if you can't get RO I would use distilled water.  Oh and the little things are copepods (aka cyclops).  Your betta prolly eats them (my guppies love them).  I like to have those bc they breakdown detritus further and they also let me know how my water is, kinda like a canary...if they start disappearing then you know something might be up...

On 2/3/2017 at 0:11 AM, Kinzo said:

From my experience, bettas attack anything that moves, even adult shrimp...i would be careful.  Also check your gh/kh levels, a lot of people ignore this and PH swings/molting problems will eventually kill your shrimplets.  I believe KH need to be around 3-6 and GH between 7-9 for RCS.  Careful with the PPM too, if you can't get RO I would use distilled water.  Oh and the little things are copepods (aka cyclops).  Your betta prolly eats them (my guppies love them).  I like to have those bc they breakdown detritus further and they also let me know how my water is, kinda like a canary...if they start disappearing then you know something might be up...

I can test PH, Amonia, Nitrate, Nitrite with my water test kit. I dont know how to test KH/GH, i need to buy more equipment for that?