Water testing supplies

Right now I use an API Freshwater test kit (Ph low and high, Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and API test strips which tests GH and KH plus others mentioned above, minus Ammonia.

What do you all use? Anything more streamline than the test tube with the solution? Also I see posts about TDS which I'm not familiar with. Any and all comments are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome MPR!,

I had never had an issue while raising guppies with TDS but learned the hard way about how it is detrimental to shrimp.  I searched past posts and learned about TDS, GH, and KH and the effects on our shrimp buddies as well as PMd more experienced shrimpers with questions.   After getting a HM Digital tester (TDS-4), calibration solution to keep accuracy up to date, and an API GH/KH test kit (test tube type) I could be more accurate with my water parameters and have not lost any more shrimp.  I still use the API 5 in 1 strips for checking periodically but I am convinced they are not accurate enough for best shrimp health.

Welcome MPR!,
I had never had an issue while raising guppies with TDS but learned the hard way about how it is detrimental to shrimp.  I searched past posts and learned about TDS, GH, and KH and the effects on our shrimp buddies as well as PMd more experienced shrimpers with questions.   After getting a HM Digital tester (TDS-4), calibration solution to keep accuracy up to date, and an API GH/KH test kit (test tube type) I could be more accurate with my water parameters and have not lost any more shrimp.  I still use the API 5 in 1 strips for checking periodically but I am convinced they are not accurate enough for best shrimp health.

Awesome oem, and thanks for the info!
I guess I get lazy when it comes to the test tubes and notice myself not checking my three tanks as much as I know I should. I'll look on Amazon for a HM digital tester, thanks!!

mypetrock~ I dont worry about testing for KH and GH . I am more concerned with testing TDS which I keep between 125-140 ppm with no shrimp losses and constant shrimp molting and berried. I dont even test my PH because my substrate keeps that where it  should be. My RO water comes out at ph of 7.0 (neutral ) my buffering substrate bring it down to 6.5 and maintains it there so my shrimp are very happy. MY TDS meter which I like very much is a HM digital which I tested against my Milwaukee and it is very accurate. Was very inexpensive as well.

mypetrock~ I dont worry about testing for KH and GH . I am more concerned with testing TDS which I keep between 125-140 ppm with no shrimp losses and constant shrimp molting and berried. I dont even test my PH because my substrate keeps that where it  should be. My RO water comes out at ph of 7.0 (neutral ) my buffering substrate bring it down to 6.5 and maintains it there so my shrimp are very happy. MY TDS meter which I like very much is a HM digital which I tested against my Milwaukee and it is very accurate. Was very inexpensive as well.

Right on, thanks Shrimp kid [emoji106]