female to male ratio?

jesseter

So I got some shadow pandas and blue bolts. Unfortunately a lot more males then females. I have two females and about 30 males. So far the females seem fine. I even have babies, but my question is what should the better ratio be? I am afraid that the females will get wore out if multiple males chase them. The other part is even if I find the ratio I don't know many sellers that will sell just females. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

more often than not you will receive a heavy male to female ratio as most sellers prefer to keep their females to breed for restocking purposes.  I think it would be very hard to find someone to sell you just females.  I prefer to have a higher female to male ratio.  But that comes by selectively culling to what you want.  It may take you a year or so to get where you want to be by breeding.

I bought a group of 10 tangtais once, and I believe they were all males. I tried my best to sex them, and looked out for saddles on the ones I was unsure of, but nothing ever developed. I have 5 left, and they are for sure all males. You will generally get fewer females when you buy caridina shrimp, though I have found almost the opposite with neos. Just make sure there are plenty of hiding spaces for the ladies. With so many males, they will all be on the hunt once she molts.

I got them from reputable sellers here. As I said at the size sold I would find it hard to sex. I would have to say it was reasonable they just scooped. The odds however were not in my favor. Are caridina just less likely to produce female offspring? Thanks again for the responses!!

With neos, the best colored ones with most strains are usually females, so when you buy quality stock, odds are a greater portion of them are females. . Most good breeders cull their stock, meaning that most males get kicked of the tank. That's my theory at least. With blue bolts, I believe the best colored ones are females, especially when they are berried, so it's possible the breeder kept the bluest ones