Anyone keep their shrimp in high pH water?

ausram

Does anyone keep their shrimp in high pH water? I have a tank cycled with fluval shrimp substrate, but it uses my local tap water which is like liquid rock. I know a lot of people use RO, but I'd prefer to use my tap water. Are their any shrimp that can handle high pH? I'm interested in fire reds.

Ammonia increases toxicity in two ways higher pH & higher Temps. So most people will either go Low pH or try an keep it around neutral range of 7. So this means any small mistake that might be ok in lower pH's can be very detrimental in higher pH.

Only shrimp that really prosper in higher PH is Sulawesi like mentioned before.

• 1 month later...

Most Tiger shrimp can do high pH but it depends on how high? I have Tigers in 7.6 and Cherries in 7.8. My Sulawesi are the ones that have been conditioned to 7.5 instead of 8.5 so how hi is your pH?

I have 4 tanks with PH 8,4 - 8,5 and 28C temperature

The shrimps (bloody mary, blue rili and yellow fire) in my 3 tank has not active motion but in 1 tank (yellow shrimp) were very active

I have 4 tanks with PH 8,4 - 8,5 and 28C temperature
The shrimps (bloody mary, blue rili and yellow fire) in my 3 tank has not active motion but in 1 tank (yellow shrimp) were very active

That's crazy high , just give them sometime they may or may not acclimate to the ph range those shrimps preferred PH is 7-7.6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will usually try to change something when I see mine creeping up to 8. A water change or something because much higher than that is stress and stressed shrimp don't make babies ?

NotKelly is right on this. I am trying to get my parameters correct now (cycling tank).