Aaron's Aquatics - Video Journal

Byron

This is a video format of my dive into the shrimp keeping/breeding hobby. I've never kept shrimp outside by Ammano shrimp, so I am very new.

I didn't choose this hobby, the hobby (and a very irresponsible coworker) chose me. These videos are my adventures.

--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------

4/4/2017

I've decided on my shrimp! I need some help if you've got the time :D

•  What parameters do you keep these shrimp?
  • Do you recommend any sellers for these shrimp?

3/11/2017

• Shrimp moved to 6g fluval tank
  • Parameters are solid!
  • Question about food: Should I be feeding a new shrimp tank considering the large amount of biofilm?

3/6/2017

• Dream Blue Velvets had shrimpets! I assume the mother dropped the eggs -- nope!
  • Added some Crypts

3/2/2017

Last night I did the following:

• Unboxed (Shrimp, Cholla wood, and some wisteria)
  • Drip acclimated the dream blue velvet shrimp
  • Setup the HOB (.8 gallon) tank till the permanent tank is cycled

Overall, it went very well! Aquatic Arts did a fantastic job on packaging (albeit it was dusty AF) and each shrimp came out great.

13 hours ago, Shrimple minded said:

Great video, and welcome to TSS!

Thanks, friend! I've been browsing TSS for awhile now -- finally made the plunge :)

I've got an update on the blue velvets later today. They live!

Last night I did the following:

• Unboxed (Shrimp, Cholla wood, and some wisteria)
  • Drip acclimated the dream blue velvet shrimp
  • Setup the HOB (.8 gallon) tank till the permanent tank is cycled

Overall, it went very well! Aquatic Arts did a fantastic job on packaging (albiet it was dusty AF) and each shrimp came out great.

54 minutes ago, dazalea said:

I enjoyed the video.. great job :D The breeder box is a really awesome accessory that I use all the time 

Thanks man, I appreciate that!

I love the box as well, but oh my god it's a nightmare with these shrimp. The outflow makes it so the water level is incredibly high. I had all but 4 escape into my 55 even with the grate guard on the front. 

I've since fixed the issue by using dividers and fished out all but 1 shrimp from my 55 (crisis averted). Still though, for almost any other use, this breeder box is great.

6 minutes ago, dazalea said:

You can turn it down so that it doesn't pump so much water in the box, also tilt the box forward a bit, that may help :)

Glad the crisis was averted! WHEW!

I did both of those things, still having the same issue. The water reaching the top isn't the problem, it's the outflow. Regardless of the pumps output, the water will still have to flow out which is where the shrimp are exiting from. I tried the following:

1) Placing an object in front of the outflow that allows water through but for shrimp to stay in, didn't work

2) Placing a piece of old homebrew mesh bagging in front, still didn't work and now they can climb out XD

3) Placing a divider on the inside of the outflow. It worked for awhile, but shrimp could get under neath it and around.

Overall, just not letting them go in the compartment with the outflow was my only choice. 

40 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

What if you put a sponge on the outside of the outflow gate?  Will prevent shrimps from coming through the gate while also letting water through.  I too have the marina brand box

Thanks for the advice! The thing is, even if there is something on the outside of the outflow gate, they still attempt to get through. That results in a shrimp stuck in the gate that came with the box. I'm good now though, I made it so they can't even get to the outflow with the divider (I'll take a picture of it tonight)

Shrimp tanks are built! I have a mostly full list of parts used in the build, but overall I think they turned out pretty good. 

I have some crypts coming in the mail next week and plan on adding the subwassertang to the coconuts in the future. 

3/6/2017

• Dream Blue Velvets had shrimpets! I assume the mother dropped the eggs -- nope!
  • Added some Crypts

I hope at least some of the shrimplets survive before the tank is done cycling :(

I had a death this morning -- one of the dream blue velvets. I noticed that on my HOB tank, the pump had a fucking mylasian trumpet snail plus a few leaves covering the input blocking flow into the HOB. Not sure if that is why, but it would make sense.

On the bright side, my 6gallon SHOULD be cycled soon as ammonia is going down.

Have you checked out prefilters for your HOB?  Could be a simple fix, especially if you intend to keep shrimps in the 55.  Would also be helpful for your 6g edge.

FOAM:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pre-Filter-Sponge-Set-for-Fluval-Edge-Aquarium-/261354440156?hash=item3cd9f045dc:g:UEQAAOxydlFSrJTO

STAINLESS STEEL:  http://www.hanaquatics.com/ss-filter-guard/

Thanks for the links! Right now, the shrimp are in a .8 gallon HOB tank with its own pump (a generic internal pump, no room for a foam filter). I've since taken some mesh and covered the hole. This is all temporary till the 6g is ready to go.

12 minutes ago, ibebian said:

As in you want to move them to a new tank just for feeding? Given the 10 or so you'll probably be fine leaving them in the 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah, this 6 is their permanent home. I was just curious if the amount of existing biofilm is good enough right after a cycle to ignore feeding as often.

2 hours ago, Byron said:

Nah, this 6 is their permanent home. I was just curious if the amount of existing biofilm is good enough right after a cycle to ignore feeding as often.

I wondered the same thing when I recently set up my 3g, so I've been feeding various bacterial/biofilm foods like BorneoWild Bebi and ShrimpLab Biofilm and Baby.

Came home from work to 2 dead shrimp. Not sure the issue... details in the video:

Parameters

• pH - 6.6
  • Ammonia - 0
  • Nitrite - 0
  • Nitrate - 5-10
  • TDS - 218
  • Temp - 80

I feed every other day with shrimp baby food and half a pellet (the big ones). Looking for advice here.