need some input about HMF

so im looking into corner HMF for my 3 aqueon 40g breeder tank just want to know what people have to say about them that have them in use ie pro/con. also im looking at using a small 80gph to run them do you think that flow will be good. its $43 for 2 inch 45 ppi foam kits should I use the 45ppi or get it in 30ppi 

Hi Shamedic,

Only working with shrimp less then a year but I have started using HMF filters instead of round sponge filters.  For me I have found that the added surface area seems to moderate water parameters better due to digestion of NO2 from beneficial bacteria.   Definitely more surface for bio-film to grow for shrimp to eat.

well I remember why I hate using silicone what a mess lol any ways I got one set of the brackets in today. I'm going to let it set for 48 hrs before I fill the tank. Now to give back my friends koi to him so I can set the other HMF up. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did get one end unit in a 29 gallon but I put the tank in a unfrequented area and it turned to a beautiful flowy algae garden ? However I noticed that they had their flow tube (German designed) which is pretty badass on smaller sponges with ceramic bottoms so I ordered one of those for my bookshelf Tiger tank and it is awesome to say the least. 

I ended up getting 45ppi just to make sure no little shrimp got into it and die I'm doing a test on it now not going to clean it at all and see how long it will last. Even if it does clog faster that's ok because I just have sand and they come out so EZ

I am slightly worried about the annual cleaning because my tank has 2 inches of gravel held back by the HMF. But that tank is getting its legs taken out from under it before its off and running. 

The water flow from the original design is pretty awesome. The curve at the top helps a little but the sealed ring around the micro holes on the tube really get the water movinglike no other. 

My obsession is culminating into a 75 gallon that is going to be slightly acidic but I am still wrestling with what type of shrimps to put in. I think Golden Bees and then I am going to put in either Royal Blues or Red Tigers to try to cross. What to do what to do?

See I don't use my lift tubes right now. I have a very small 80 GPH pump I picked up from amazon for 8 bucks. Next time you do a water change put you gravel vac. on the filter foam and suck out some of the crud that's what it says to do on other web site's. It should pro long the need to pull it out. With a 75g tank you could have thousands of shrimp in there. As for shrimp I think the Royal blues from Flip Aquatics are very nice. You can find him on youtube he does a shrimp room tour every once and awhile and I think he said his wife Amanda  has an account here on the site you might be able to ask for some pics. and see what you would get.

One thing to consider when using a small powerhead instead of a lift tube, is that there should be a bit of surface agitation from the outlet, not roiling and bubbling, but at least a bit of movement so the surface doesn't 'skin over' with biofilm.

I always over-filter, UGF with a little PH and a sponge or a small HOB. Two sources of filters and one that is easily removed. It makes for a slightly less attractive aquascape possibly but I can treat and or do what I must and have a better chance at recovery ?

2 hours ago, LesterBee said:

One thing to consider when using a small powerhead instead of a lift tube, is that there should be a bit of surface agitation from the outlet, not roiling and bubbling, but at least a bit of movement so the surface doesn't 'skin over' with biofilm.

the outlet is about 1/2 inch from the top of the water. I was thinking about drilling a small hole in the pipe and putting an air line in there as well but Im not sure if water will push out the air line.

Drill a hole in the outlet of the powerhead. Perpendicular to the flow and put your air line in there. It will create a vacuum and suck air through the line. Then you can put a baby flow control valve on there if you don't want too much air. 

And your upflow tube remains intact ??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

just an update on the 45ppi foam it has been running for about 6 months with no problems I haven't done any type of maint  what so ever to the foam pad and the water lvls stay the same there are prob 500+ cherry shrimp in the tank now a lot of them hang off it and feed all day I will pulling it out in the next few days to do a deep clean on the tank I ended up using the lift tube they provide and its almost as good as the small pump I was using so for any one wanting&nbs

just an update on the 45ppi foam it has been running for about 6 months with no problems I haven't done any type of maint  what so ever to the foam pad and the water lvls stay the same there are prob 500+ cherry shrimp in the tank now a lot of them hang off it and feed all day I will pulling it out in the next few days to do a deep clean on the tank I ended up using the lift tube they provide and its almost as good as the small pump I was using so for any one wanting t

I finally cleaned the one that I tried to start a 29H with and I'm only using the foam as a divider wall. I have too many types of shrimp now and needed a place to separate them.

I have a canister intake on one side of the wall and the output on the other so it's  pulling the water through and creating my biowall 👍

My 75 is doing good and I went from about 20 Golden Bees (10 each from different sources) to over a hundred. But they have trown a BB and some CRS and even more CBS so I am trying to separate them and start those breeding. Time will tell but the 1 BB thrown I am going to cross with Tangtai I recently got 😁