Are 30%, 50% water changes ok

Currently the way I do water changes is that I do a nitrate test and when it is around 20-40  I drain half the tank and add 10% each day until the tank is full again adding minerals on days required and then do another nitrate test. On most tanks this works, but whenever I neglect a tank because its nitrates were low for a few weeks and shrimp start dying, is it ok to do 50%, 75% water changes as long as the tds remains roughly 20 from where it normally is? 

Yeah, that makes sense, everyone else seems to do only small water changes, but those aren't cutting it sometimes. and the airline hosing is a good touch. 

My shrimp don't do well with large changes. I do 15%-20% every 7 days on my neocaridina tanks

Curious to hear more on what you observe here. Are they generally staying still, and/or hiding? Or worse, deaths?

I sometimes do 50% changes where it doesn't seem to affect them but maybe I am just not seeing the symptoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With my Taiwan bees I cannot do more then 10% water change. I notice a few random deaths afterwards the times I did more.

As for the Neos I do 10-20%  to be safe. My colonies are thriving with a 15% water change, 1x a week, I have no reason to attempt more or to change it (params are stable and shrimp are doing great) If it works for people to do bigger changes then by all means you should do what works best for you :) 

Hope this helps, its my personal experience.

Edited by dazalea

I cringe when I have to do water changes. I feel like my shrimp are the happiest without them. I'm at 15-20% every 2 weeks and I've been successful so far. Before I was doing weekly water changes and that would make them act strange with a death or 2 the following day. Who knows. Meanwhile my reef tank does better and better with constant water changes.

16 hours ago, NeocaridinaPat said:

I cringe when I have to do water changes. I feel like my shrimp are the happiest without them. I'm at 15-20% every 2 weeks and I've been successful so far. Before I was doing weekly water changes and that would make them act strange with a death or 2 the following day. Who knows. Meanwhile my reef tank does better and better with constant water changes.

Yeah I still have issues where my shrimp die if the water change is too big, so I'm trying to find ways to do them without killing 1 or 2 inhabitants. I'm trying omgaquatic's method right now so far no shrimp deaths and im testing it currently on a second tank. 

On 3/8/2017 at 1:11 PM, dazalea said:

With my Taiwan bees I cannot do more then 10% water change. I notice a few random deaths afterwards the times I did more.

As for the Neos I do 10-20%  to be safe. My colonies are thriving with a 15% water change, 1x a week, I have no reason to attempt more or to change it (params are stable and shrimp are doing great) If it works for people to do bigger changes then by all means you should do what works best for you :) 

Hope this helps, its my personal experience.

My neos seem to do fine with a 50% change over a week, I would do a 15% change a week, but it doesnt seem to impact nitrates much and I notice some shrimp deaths if I change water too often. 

16 hours ago, NeocaridinaPat said:

Yeah I still have issues where my shrimp die if the water change is too big, so I'm trying to find ways to do them without killing 1 or 2 inhabitants. I'm trying omgaquatic's method right now so far no shrimp deaths and Im testing it currently on a second tank.