Shrimp Tank Sizes

Hello all,

So, I recently had a small discussion with a hobbyist over what should be the smallest tank size for a shrimp tank.

Everything I've read/heard has indicated that 5g tanks are a good size for a decent colony of shrimp. (my own orange neo colony is in a 5g) My acquaintance says that in their opinion 10g should be the smallest a person should go in regards to a shrimp colony.

So, I just wanted to ask as many of you have kept and bred shrimp for years - what is your opinion on shrimp tank sizes? What would be the smallest you'd go, and why? Do you base your opinion on the cycle stability, or room for the shrimp, etc?

I'm interested to hear what people's opinions are. :)

5-20 gallons is what works for me. If I have a small amount of hardy shrimp like Neos I can start with a 5 gallon. They breed quickly and the females are always berried, I believe the males have an easier time finding the females opposed to a really big tank (which is why I only use 5-20 gallon tanks)I know some people use huge tanks but I have success using 5-20 gallons. My most commonly used tanks and successful being 10-15 gallons, my 5 gallons are used when I have amount of adults.  Caridina Shrimp you should start with a 10 gallon tank minimum to keep the params stable. 

Edited by dazalea

I haven't been keeping shrimp long but I like 40g breeders I just like to have a lot of crap going on woods and mosses plants that way I know I won't run out of room EVER! Could have 500 shrimps in a 40breeder 

I keep mine in 10g tanks and my display tanks are 20g longs.  I dont generally go less than 10g for cycle/parameter stability purposes.  That said I have seen many many successful tanks fish/shrimp/salt water in 5 gallon tanks.

2 hours ago, dazalea said:

I Have kept 500 shrimp in a 15 gallon no problem whatsoever.. do regular water changes and it works well... :D

The more experience you gain you will realize what actually works best for you. 

I wish I didn't read this LOL here comes the 4000 shrimp in a 40 breeder oya 

I have (2) 20 gallons and (1) 6 gallon. I could technically try and keep some in my 55g, but I'm thinking about converting that to a cichlid tank soon, so yeah.... that would be a shrimp nightmare.

I currently run only nano tanks: a 6g and 3g long bookshelf. I actually keep my most prized Caridina colony in the 3g where params stay quite stable. I like to think it's good shrimping fundamentals (and fairly steady and moderate SF temperature), but that tank has high shrimplet survival rate with a colony of about 20 adults, 20+ juvies and a whole bunch of babies.

3 hours ago, Byron said:

I have (2) 20 gallons and (1) 6 gallon. I could technically try and keep some in my 55g, but I'm thinking about converting that to a cichlid tank soon, so yeah.... that would be a shrimp nightmare.

Don't keep cichlids trust me I had a 240g cichlids tank you can never win

Thanks for all the responses everyone! It's interesting to see what size tanks work for you all.

I'm planning on upgrading my 5g to a 10g sometime soon (the need for more shrimp grows, haha) but I was wondering if the 5g could be considered adequate enough.

Thanks again!

14 hours ago, shamedic said:

Don't keep cichlids trust me I had a 240g cichlids tank you can never win

I know this is super offtopic, but can you explain more on this? What do you mean "never win"?

I'm honestly curious. I've kept 2 GBR's in my community tank and they were wonderful fish that survived and gave live birth plenty of times (though I'd be a liar in saying all the fry batches survived). What are the complications in a straight cichlid tank that you are talking about (Outside the normal aggression, overstocking, larger water changes (because of overstocking), etc) ?