Who here has a successful fish and shrimp mixed tank?

I've been itching to add a small school of Neon Tetras to my tank, but my shrimp are important to me and not to mention very expensive. I'm not worried about MAYBE losing a shrimplet here and there because I have a mixed tank. However my main shrimp supplier ships very young shrimp and I am worried that a fish would want to make a meal out of a blue bolt for example.

I know there are a lot of threads on this, but they are all opinions. Does anyone have a tank with both? Seen any aggression with the fish and the shrimp? 

Thanks!

The larger wood or bamboo shrimp that filter feed are large enough to not me gobbled up by most fish. They're pretty cool, but I like to focus on tank inhabitants that I can breed. If you provide a ton of cover and hiding spots, and a larger starting population, dwarf shrimp should at least hold steady as long as you don't keep anything that will actively hunt the shrimp. If you have a taller tank, you might have good luck with species that stay at the top of the tank, since most shrimp stay towards the bottom. I have some heterandria formosa with some cherry shrimp. The shrimp are just starting to berry up again after taking a break, so I can't say for sure that the babies will be safe in this tank, though I'm not too fond of them anyways. I actually can't monitor the adult shrimp population very well since I have a forest of vals at the front of the tank. These least killifish are very tiny. I wouldn't risk keeping any fish with my other shrimp. I've spent too much on them just to have them be eaten.

I keep 2 black bar endlers and 6 chili rasboras in a 6gal with neos and caridinas. The population has been dwindling, not necessarily because the fish are eating the shrimp (I've never seem them bother any), but because of high nitrates given the bioload (I used to do very infrequent WCs). I'll be doing more aggressive water changes and addressing the stock to see if I can get this colony to bounce back.

I think you will get some losses from the fish, but if it's got plenty of cover it might not be too bad. I would definitely keep an eye on the nitrates though, NO3 does not treat shrimp or shrimplets well.

I was keeping some of my C.Chopra fry in my main shrimp tank, since the fish were initially smaller than the shrimp there was no problem until they got to about 3/4" long. Then the shrimp started hiding.  C.Chopra are pretty boisterous anyways and moving them into their own tank settled things for the shrimp,  it also helped curb a growing BGA outbreak.     I think that those little Danions also like to nibble the same things the shrimp ate, so more food for the shrimpies.  I'm not going to keep Caridinia and fish together anytime soon.

The only shrimp I would have with fish is shrimp which not going to be missed if they are eaten.  No costly shrimp or hard to breed ones.

My success with fish and shrimp has been with only 1 fish which are Boraras Brigittae (there were a few B. Maculatus and B. Merah with them).  

Yes, they can be mixed carefully with fish, they can live together and you will have some some disappear and adults will usually make it but end with low shrimp survival to adulthood.  Plecos, Sundadanios, CPD, Dario Dario, - snack/hunt, even the little nano Cories were borderline (saw reduced shrimp numbers to adulthood, when removed shrimp population increased noticably)

I was breeding some Celestial Pearl Danios in my shrimp tanks but they were only in there for a week to lay eggs so I don't know if they were causing problems.

My only other experience was when I put red claw macros in my 120gal planted rainbow tank.  I removed them after a week as I started losing adult rainbows...the shrimp were fine though :).