How many snails is too many?!?

My ramshorns recently started breeding like crazy - haven't been able to count all the babies but there are dozens all over the tank.  They're in a 20-gallon hex.  Do they self-limit their population, or will I eventually have to remove some? 

they will limit themselves to what the available food is.  So if you feed x amount typically, they will breed to a level to eat that amount of food.  Then if you change/lower the amount of food, you now have too many snails and some may die of starvation.  You can always remove some by putting a lettuce leaf in the tank over night and the next morning removing it along with however many snails are feeding on the lettuce.

Cool, thank you!  Currently feeding mainly mulberry and moringa leaves, supplementing once or twice a week with a rotation of different foods.  If the snail population goes nuts, I'll do the lettuce thing. 

I would say too many snails is when the snails start to bully the shrimp away from the food and it would be good to start culling the snail population as they will go nuts after a certain point especially if you have a planted tank. 

Caught them shoving the shrimp out of the way in the food dish tonight, so I'm removing them.  Dropped the bigger ones into my micro crab tank.  How effective is the lettuce trick with the babies?  And what do I do with all of them once they've been relocated?  Anybody in the Atlanta area want a ton of blue ramshorns? ?

LOL, Mike!  Gotta keep the puffer happy!  Give me a few weeks to let the babies get bigger.  I paid $15 shipped for my original bunch of 6+1 juveniles; will sell them to you (along with all the babies I can trap) for the same price.

I have noticed my snail populations exploding recently since I started feeding my shrimp tanks daily instead of once every other week.  Thankfully the blue ramhorn are often easier to sell then the brown ones.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...