CO2 diffusion question Please Help!

I am setting up a large tank 75g possibly may move my shrimps into (not sure yet) and I have some reverse flow capable Aquaclear 50 powerheads on a UGF. I was wondering if anyone knew if feeding the power head in reverse flow thereby injecting the CO2 under the substrate for diffudion would hurt the roots of the plants in any way? 

I know they normally would repirate through the leaves. I expect that this will maximize the diffusion time. I would run the bps low 1-2 bps just to help the plants some while trying to ensure it doesn't hurt my shrimps. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

there is a lot going on here. to answer your ? no, doing it that way wont hurt the roots. using pressurized co2 can be done successfully but counting bubbles i don't recommend. have you thought about an atomizer and a small and i mean small power head with a sponge over the intake? this is what i use. i think i've read that UGF may not be a great choice for shrimp. just trying to help 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The Pheads in reverse are 125 gph each (slow) and of course I have sponges on every intake on every tank i own. It can help with a napping fish too : ) I over filter everything as well.

So it will have a HOB Aquaclear 50 with tube extension for deeper filtration and more spread out water movement. Along with up flow through the gravel from the powerheads in the two rear corners and a Hagen Powerball Filter thats fully submersible and go wherever I need it. All of my current shrimp tanks have at least 2 types of filtration. Sponge filters and a motorized for water treatment (Purigen). I have Royal Blue and OEBT's and RCS and some Sulawesi Cardinals so far :) 

I mostly was concerned about the plant growth since my tanks all have live plants. And the uncertainty of root feeding CO2 or not knowing if that would happen or hurt as diffusion took place, thanks again

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to take into consideration that injection of CO2 to the UGF will reduce availability O2 to the aerobic BB

So I guess injecting into the air intake on the Powerheads it is ?

I actually think there is not a direct inverse relationship between O2 and CO2, though other factors such as respiration, photosynthesis etc. make them seem as if inversely related. Would love for someone more knowledgeable chime in here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk