What to do about KH and GH being 0

Hi all,

I was given a Fluval Spec V about a month ago and I wanted to make it a Neo Shrimp tank.  I decided on using Fluval Stratum for the substrate which I have a 2" layer to help hold plants down. My tap water has KH=3 and GH=3 but after a day or so my tank water is 0 for KH and GH. The only things in the tank right now are plants and chollo wood.  Oh, and my TDS is 205.

What can I do to raise KH/GH to where they need to be?  I have seen the Salty Shrimp mineral Gh/KH+ but wanted hear if there are other options.

Thanks.

The main reason many people use r/o water is we don't know what is in the tap water. When weird things like this happen you have to start the fix by knowing the ingredients in the water to control the variables. Just trying to help

Well since I only wanted to keep neos I really didn't want to invest in a RO unit until I wanted to try my hands at some of the higher quality shrimp.

@TheFishDude - unless I'm not reading your comment right, I'm trying to increase my KH/GH levels not lower them.  My understanding is RO water has a KH/GH of 0 already then you have to remineralize it.

how much will it cost you if they keep dying because of something in the water or you can't maintain the proper GH?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110691608751?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$64.

you can also buy RO water in the water isle.

you shouldn't use a substrate like that for neos.

that's for shrimps that want a lower ph.

if you want to plant,there are other soils that wont affect the ph.

Well since I only wanted to keep neos I really didn't want to invest in a RO unit until I wanted to try my hands at some of the higher quality shrimp.

@TheFishDude - unless I'm not reading your comment right, I'm trying to increase my KH/GH levels not lower them.  My understanding is RO water has a KH/GH of 0 already then you have to remineralize it.

I do understand that, which is why I said cut it with tap water or spring water to get the minerals you need, without raising them to unsafe levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll start by saying I'm a shrimp nub. Under a year of shrimp keeping, I keep neos. If it was me starting over I would take out your substrate and just use black sand then you'll have complete control of your tank. I'm not sure if you can get distilled water at your grocery store but I get it for .99 a gallon then just get some salty shrimp gh/kh +.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/water-conditioners/salty-shrimp-shrimp-mineral-gh-kh/ for $18 you can make a lot of water for your tank. Its 2 scopes for 5 gallons for me to get my water right where I want it. I made 20 gallons last night setting up my 40G breeder. I didn't even put a dent in the salty shrimp. If what I looked up your tank is only 5 gallons so water would be $2 a month for bi weekly WC. You will have that container of Salty shrimp for a year before you need to get more. I killed a lot of shrimp trying to use my tap water like 50-75. I hope this helps you out.

19 hours ago, Shrimply said:

you'll end up paying more buying shrimp constantly then you will for a RO unit.

water is not one of the things you can shortcut in this hobby. 

I am going to switch out the substrate with either black sand or black diamond blasting sand.  Is it safe to use root tabs under the sand with shrimps?

I work at an university and have access to a ro/di unit until I decide on a RO unit.  I'll just have to hull around a 5 gallon bucket every few weeks.

I'm assuming I'll need the Salty shrimp GH/KH mineralizer since I'll use RODI water?

Thanks for all the input btw!