CRS/CBS stopped breeding

So I've had my 30 gal CRS/CBS tank running for about 2 years now and the shrimp seem to be doing well; however, they have not been breeding for almost 10 months now. My parameters are as follows:

Gh - 7

Kh - 0

Ph - 6.4

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0 

Nitrate - 0

Temp - 72

I use RODI water remineralized with SS GH+ and a TDS of around 120. 

I started this tank with around 15 shrimp and by the end of the first year I was up to 50-60. Ever since then, I have not been able to get them to breed again. At first I thought it might be a seasonal thing but as the seasons passed, nothing would change. I've seen the shrimp molt from time to time but nothing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped on this one.

Photo 2017-03-23, 6 29 31 PM.jpg

Photo 2017-03-23, 6 28 41 PM.jpg

I find that frozen brine shrimp is a great breeding stimulant for both my neos and caridinas. It must provide them something that is lacking in their regular dried food diet that I give them. I give them some when I feed my guppies. I get lazy sometimes, so my tanks get neglected to the point that they don't even saddle up. A few feedings of brine shrimp later, and they all saddle/berry at the same time. Your GH could be a touch lower. Most reccomend GH between 4 and 6, though your strain may already be adapted to your parameters

33 minutes ago, seaj said:

I find that frozen brine shrimp is a great breeding stimulant for both my neos and caridinas. It must provide them something that is lacking in their regular dried food diet that I give them. I give them some when I feed my guppies. I get lazy sometimes, so my tanks get neglected to the point that they don't even saddle up. A few feedings of brine shrimp later, and they all saddle/berry at the same time. Your GH could be a touch lower. Most reccomend GH between 4 and 6, though your strain may already be adapted to your parameters

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely pick up some frozen brine shrimp the next time I'm at the pet store.

Hopefully others will chime in. Feeding brine shrimp doesn't seem common, but my shrimp fight over it whenever I put some in the tank. I don't even think I have ever read of others doing the same, but it works for me. On this thread, this user recommends blood worms when breeding slows down. I tried blood worms once, but they grossed me out, haha. I think I may have also read that breeding can slow down when active substrates start to wear out.

• 2 weeks later...

So I began feeding frozen brine shrimp over the past week and it looks like I have at least one saddled shrimp, however it is really difficult to tell on a crs/cbs. They do seem to really enjoy the brine shrimp, so hopefully I get some berried females soon. Also did a water change over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear! One of the things I love about lower grade shrimp and rili shrimp is being able to see what's going on in their bodies. Just be careful not to overfeed, maybe 1 brine shrimp per adult shrimp to start. I don't think they should need brine shrimp more than twice a week.

• 1 month later...

So after a couple weeks without anything happening, I set up a 20 long and added about 12 crs/cbs. A couple weeks into the move and I had my first berried shrimp and today, I have at least 20 babies and 4 other adults that are berried. Weird thing is that I also noticed 2 berried shrimp in my old tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Some shrimp are protein hungry like tigers. 

My PRL are in a 5 gallon tank with  pH 6.5 a GH of 6, KH 1 or less and TDS of 180. I don't have an active substrate but ordered 10 and now have 2 batches of babies in just over 2 months ? I use Salty Shrimp GH for Bee shrimp. Maybe its the new tank syndrome but time will tell ?