Undershrimp gets over

Undershrimp

:jig: I have entered the world o shrimping! Got some RCS yesterday and wanted to post some pics. Acclimated 'em for 7 hours due to them being in PH 6.6 vs my 7.6 and TDS of 407 vs my 227. Thanks to you all on this forum I knew what the heck osmotic shock was. Some of the pics are lighter and some darker due to me playing around with exposure. As you can tell, they have never seen a camera before. I caught one of them scratching its head in wonderment.

skrimp questions.JPG

skrimp 409.JPG

skrimp 454.JPG

skrimp 479.JPG

skrimp 505.JPG

skrimp 550.JPG

Aww shnucks that's what I was afraid of, but y'know denial is the first stage. One appeared to be trying to mount the others when they were being acclimated so I though surely one was a male. Looks like another trip to the LFS lol. Yes Shrimple minded that female does have a single solitary egg. When I got her it wasn't all the way dropped and throughout the acclimating process it seemed to have worked it's way down. I could see it wiggle on down as she was fanning her swimmerettes. Not sure if it's a first time "practice egg" or what. I assumed she will drop it as I would expect them to want to molt within the next couple of weeks. Well I will ask you all, what would you do? Wait it out or more shrimp to be sure I have a male?

Well I picked up three more shrimp this afternoon. Started acclimating them at one so they should be good about eight. I'll get some pics then hopefully. I am pretty positive at least one is a male but I think two. The dang tank was almost all females at the LFS! Meanwhile I just stuffed these cheap corner sponge filters in my three ten gallon tanks. 6 for $15-16. I was going to run 'em like natural style tanks and I cycled all three without filters running. This should give me some extra wiggle room when there are more shrimp and peace of mind. Anyone used these?
895172409cfe32f4f53da90b33ebd8cb.jpg

Well here are the pics. 2 and 3 may actually be the same shrimp now that I've looked this over, long day haha. Not so sure when I am able to get 'em up close like this. More females? LOL Maybe a male that identifies as a female in the mix? I noticed one does look a bit cloudy so not so sure about that one making it or not. What do you all think? Last pic is the female with the lone berry. She has been cleaning her undercarriage most of the day like the pic shows. Can anyone tell me if this is this normal?

S 3 041.JPG

S 3 046.JPG

S 3 091.JPG

S 3 099.JPG

Yeah I just couldn't help myself haha. I mentioned having almost all females to the guy and he said "we just order cherry shrimp and this is what they send us." That sort of spooked me tbh because who knows where they came from. Does explain them stacking on each other and staying close together when I put them in the container to acclimate them. They thought they were getting shipped again! I did order some yellows going out Saturday. I will have to see if I can get some red's shipped along too [emoji4]

Thanks for the heads up. I setup three ten gallon tanks all at the same time so they will be separate. Though I do like the wt and I may set up a tank just for them. The two are fairly hard water for neos and the third is fairly soft for caridina. The soft is being used as a holding tank for plants to go into a new cory tank. Also feel I should have some experience with neos before getting into caridina.

That last pics looked like a boy to me. I don't see much underbelly curve and I definitely don't see a saddle. May e my eyes are getting old?

• 3 weeks later...

One of my gals kicked the bucket this morning. [emoji20] Guessing she just wasn't healthy when I got her. Pulled her out, looked fine. Snails were only just getting to the body so fresh when noticed. Cloudy-ish under but not pink yet. Only weird thing was a long piece of what looks like green hair algae from the mouth area. I don't even see any algae anywhere looking in the tank (except the marimo balls). Can shrimp choke on something? That seems silly just typing it lol. Checked params and tds seems to be 25-30 lower than it should be for some reason. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all at zero. I did just fenben the tank this last week/weekend since I saw some hydra, but put charcoal in for three days after to remove whatever might have been hanging around and just removed the charcoal last night. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Got shrimp this Monday and wanted to post some pics :pic: Thanks to Dani at Shrimp Life for the yellow and red Neos. :thumbsu: Packed well and she was so nice she included some brownie buce! First buce in the tank! Also got some supplies from Will at The Shrimp Tank on Monday, pictured below as well. :mail: Thanks for the fast shipping Will! Can't forget Louis at Green Pepper Shrimps with the aquarium oxygen accelerant I received Friday. :goodjob: This is all glass and well made, also pictured below. Not to mention I couldn't find one anywhere else when I first spotted one of these. Last pic and my favorite, one of the ladies is berried up with green eggs! :jig:

new 035.JPG

new 036.JPG

new 037.JPG

new 038.JPG

new 039.JPG

new 043.JPG

new 050.jpg

new 120.JPG

• 2 weeks later...