Buce Stones

Hey All!

For sometime I used Yamaya stones as they were leftover from my aquascaping days to tie Bucephalandra on. However, I have used all of my spare pieces, I am now looking for more stones, but I wanted your opinion on what you prefer for tying your Buce. I was leaning towards lava rock as it is cheap and can house even more beneficial bacteria.

Let me know what you think and why. Thank you all!

Lava is nice, but if you are looking at future resale seiryu / petrified wood are solid choices.

I also like using dragon stone because the stone actually serves as a fertilizer for the plant in small forms

9 hours ago, dazalea said:

I've used lava rock because it looks nice and no problem for resale either... Its affordable and looks nice in mostly any shrimp tank.

Any special type you recommend? I want some that blend in the the substrate, preferably not red.

56 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

Any special type you recommend? I want some that blend in the the substrate, preferably not red.

There are places that sell smaller black lava rocks (typically used for bbq pit or landscaping) and those work just fine, you will need to source it. I don't know where to get the black ones -I just buy the bbq pit lava stones and pick out the darkest ones to use.

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

There are places that sell smaller black lava rocks (typically used for bbq pit or landscaping) and those work just fine, you will need to source it. I don't know where to get the black ones -I just buy the bbq pit lava stones and pick out the darkest ones to use.

So there is nothing special you have needed to do for these lava rocks you have purchased? Aside from maybe a rinse.