How many RCS in a 5 gallon

Hi, I am just getting into shrimp keeping and am going to keep Neocaridina Davidi. My tank is a 5 gallon planted tank with a sponge filter and Fluval Shrimp Stratum. It is currently in cycling. I am wondering how many I could fit in the tank. I plan on just letting them breed. About how many can I have before I need to sell them or upgrade the tank size? Also any tips would be helpful. Thanks!

IMG_0927.JPG

26 minutes ago, landonnap said:

Seriously, won't that overload the nitrifying bacteria? I thought that would be physically limiting nevertheless with ammonia content. R u sure?

Depends on how efficient your filtration is.

Bioload of shrimp is barely anything.

As long as there's enough space for the bacteria to populate you are fine.

the shrimp bioload is nothing as @OMG Aquatics mentioned.  the tricky part with that will be the feeding, as most foods will affect parameters.  So just make sure it is eaten fairly quickly.  Your substrate is a buffering type substrate which will lower your ph.  this is typically meant for caridina type shrimp vs. neocaridina types.  Just be aware and try to keep parameters stable.  This is the most important.

Yes, so I went to my LFS and decided to invest in an API Master Test Kit and wow was it worth the 35$. So I was fishless cycling w ammonia and my easystrips always said 3ppm which was about what I wanted. Turns out I had 8+ppm. And I have a huge nitrite spike which is great, hopefully the ammonia will go down as well as nitrite and I'll start to see some nitrate.