Zerowater filter

So i stumbled on this when looking at ro/di stuff. Not a bad little system. Filters are rated for average of 25-40 gallons depending on the tds from tap.....

Each filter is around $12 or so but could be cheaper if buy bulk.

Question to those that have ro/di system. How long does the filters last in them? And how much does each filter cost?

It depends greatly on the RO system, and the source water. Here in Eugene, OR, our water comes out of the tap between 40-60 TDS, I can get a year or so before I generally just switch them out(10" Cartridges) to avoid any possibility of chlorine getting past the carbon block cartridge and into the membrane. A friend of mine has a 5 stage RO/DI system that he runs in the houston area with about 220 TDS, and he's made it over a year without swapping cartidges(however he's playing a dangerous game).  If your water utility adds chloramine to the water, then you are looking at even shorter replacement cycles on your carbon - maybe every 3 months since it's really hard to remove and even trace amounts making it through to your tank would be really bad.

The cartridge costs can vary widely, but generally for a decent set, you are looking at ~30 bucks (Sediment, Carbon, DI resin). Less if you don't have DI.

Thats good to know. Thanks.

Im going to give this zerowater filter a try. Especially because i only have a 10gal tank(FOR NOW!) haha.

It also comes with a tds meter. Ill test my tap to see what my tap tds is and go from there...

Worst case scenario walmart has DI water at $.82/gal

I'm not sure that this filter would be such a good choice, it's basically a very fancy DeIonizing filter, which replaces your Calcium and Magnesium hardness salts with Sodium, Plants can use Ca and Mg but the Na ions will not be used.  If you check your pH of the treated water from this filter it will probably be quite high.

Reverse Osmosis is really the only effective way to remove the excessive GH hardness and other dissolved elements for water used in a shrimp tank, especially one which you need low pH, using DI treated water it's not going to be a good environment for your CRS.

1 hour ago, LesterBee said:

I'm not sure that this filter would be such a good choice, it's basically a very fancy DeIonizing filter, which replaces your Calcium and Magnesium hardness salts with Sodium, Plants can use Ca and Mg but the Na ions will not be used.  If you check your pH of the treated water from this filter it will probably be quite high.

Reverse Osmosis is really the only effective way to remove the excessive GH hardness and other dissolved elements for water used in a shrimp tank, especially one which you need low pH, using DI treated water it's not going to be a good environment for your CRS.

I see this same topic come up ever year or so, you are 100% correct.  trying to skimp out on an RO filter is wasted $. proper water is considered to be one of the most important parts to success. you can save $ in other areas like foods.  

Agreed, with the above.. It's really not worth the trouble when you can get a cheap RO system that will get you by for a long time.

http://www.purewaterclub.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=246

I had a similar system to that which worked for me for a loooong time. You just have to think ahead to make sure you have your water for water change day.

thank you guys.

I actually found this

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Reverse-Osmosis-Filtration-POQ-4B-50/dp/B00GJCE2X4/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1491507365&sr=1-5&keywords=reverse+osmosis+system

That zerowater filter was $40... this Ro/Di system is $64 and its as easy as taking the aerator out.  I'll go with this. appreciate the input!

One more question.

With this type of RO/DI system, can I make the water before hand and store it in jugs without adding Salty Shrimp gh and when I need to use it I just add the salty shrimp? 

I've been using that same version but the 150 GPD model and it's been a year and still giving me 0 TDS. My tap is around 40-50 TDS.

I would make the water a day or two ahead of water change and add salty shrimp a few minutes before doing the water change.

If you have space, you can store them in jugs and put an airstone in each jug.

1 minute ago, OMG Aquatics said:

I've been using that same version but the 150 GPD model and it's been a year and still giving me 0 TDS. My tap is around 40-50 TDS.

I would make the water a day or two ahead of water change and add salty shrimp a few minutes before doing the water change.

If you have space, you can store them in jugs and put an airstone in each jug.

Just ordered. Should be here Monday. I'm starting to hate this hobby... I mean my wallet is starting to hate this hobby lol.

58 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

A search on this forum of "purewaterclub" returns a lot of results and happy TSS members who are pleased with their RO unit.  

This is likely the best purchase you could have made for shrimping success. 

Shrimpin aint easy!

I like this portable one for ease of use. I thought id have to tap into the line etc. I can put it away after im done with it and the wife doesnt need to see it!

26 minutes ago, JLui83 said:

Roger that. 

Cant wait to get it and use it!

Time to read up on how much salty shrimp gh to add.

1 degree GH from saltyshrimp GH is roughly 17.86 ppm

So if you want 5 GH and your RODI water is 0 TDS, add SS GH+ until your TDS is around 90 TDS

For top offs, do you remineralize the RO/DI water? or I guess it depends on the GH right? 

Since ideally I want around 120 TDS for my Crystals and I need to top off. If my tank's gh is already around 5 but TDS is higher than 120. I"m assuming I can just add RO/DI water with NO Salty Shrimp correct?

Oh and for RO/DI water, do I need to use a decholorinator ?

Top offs should ALWAYS be pure RODI water.

The only time u remineralize RODI water is for water change.

Let's say 1 gallon of water evaporated and you do a 1 gallon water change. 

You are NOT remineralizing 2 gallons of water. Only 1 gallon remineralized and the other gallon is just pure RODI.

19 minutes ago, JLui83 said:

So for that 1 gallon that needs to be remineralized, I add enough saltyshrimp gh+ to where the TDS is 120 and GH is 5 or just add and measure TDS?

Depending on the TDS of your RODI water, 5 GH is roughly 90 ppm.

I only measure TDS when doing water changes. Never really checked GH unless there's an issue.

I think it will all click into place once I get the system and start messing with it. lol

B/c my tank is only 10 gallons. I dont for see me doing a water change thats more than 3 gallons at a time. Most likely 1-2 gallon (10-20%)water change every other week would probably be ok right? Starting off with only 10 CRS. Bioload is probably next to nothing.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:14 PM, JLui83 said:

I think it will all click into place once I get the system and start messing with it. lol

B/c my tank is only 10 gallons. I dont for see me doing a water change thats more than 3 gallons at a time. Most likely 1-2 gallon (10-20%)water change every other week would probably be ok right? Starting off with only 10 CRS. Bioload is probably next to nothing.

You could probably just replenish the evaporated water for a couple months with RO water, it's going to take more than a couple weeks for the tank's nitrifying bacteria to adjust to the shrimp load.   And they'll find plenty of biofilm to tide themselves over,  if anything don't over feed, let them forage for a few days after introducing them.