Growing of the Blue Velvet Colony

ImDisclose

Day One: Hello, TSS, I'm recording my journey of my newly inhabited shrimp tank! I ordered these little buggers from Aquatic Arts, with 6 residing in this ten gallon. The shrimp are happily grazing on the sponge filter, and all arrived alive. This will be the growth of a small colony into an empire.

PS: Sorry for the algae, should I leave it be or try to remove it?

image.jpg

Day 2: Copepods?

I'm seeing lots of white dots on my glass, and on closer inspection, they seem to be copepods. I heard baby shrimp like to eat them, so I didn't take any action in removing them. Can they possibly be something else that might be harmful? The shrimp seem fine.

Btw, thanks for the replay dazalea

image.jpg

if they move in a jittery fashion,yes.

they're harmless.

get a plain razor blade,at least scrape off the algae on the front,so you can see them better.;)

you can leave the scrapings in the tank.they will go to town on them.

Day 3: Mossball Grazing
The shrimp have settled in, and they're all over the mossball now. In addition, I've noticed my shrimp don't eat food right after I place it in the tank, they usually wait for the food to soften up in the water and approach it a few hours later. It's a funny little quirk :)190a68702b3fda5f2215bdb058bfafaf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would remove them. Pond snails multiply rapidly and eat aquarium plants. They are a pest species. I don't have them in my shrimp tank but I get them occasionally in my fish tank. They are easy to remove (easier in fish tanks because the fish will eagerly eat their crushed bodies). You should just pull a couple out everyday and you'll see their numbers dwindle soon. I don't know if the shrimp eat their dead bodies or not so I can't recommend crushing them all.

I'm not 100% sure they are pond snails from the picture but you can reference common pest snails here: https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/articles/freshwater-aquarium-snails

9 hours ago, huntingtrees said:

I would remove them. Pond snails multiply rapidly and eat aquarium plants. They are a pest species. I don't have them in my shrimp tank but I get them occasionally in my fish tank. They are easy to remove (easier in fish tanks because the fish will eagerly eat their crushed bodies). You should just pull a couple out everyday and you'll see their numbers dwindle soon. I don't know if the shrimp eat their dead bodies or not so I can't recommend crushing them all.

I'm not 100% sure they are pond snails from the picture but you can reference common pest snails here: https://www.aquascapeaddiction.com/articles/freshwater-aquarium-snails

I've read somewhere that pond snails don't multiply rapidly unless there's a problem such as overfeeding in the tank. if feeding in amounts that the shrimp can eat in an hour, the pond snail population will be controlled

Hmm kind of looks like they could be Nerite snails too. I've only encountered Pond, Ramshorn, and Trumpet snails before and then only in my fish tank. Whenever I saw them I would just crush them because the fish love to eat them. Maybe somebody with more experience can tell?

2 hours ago, ImDisclose said:

I've read somewhere that pond snails don't multiply rapidly unless there's a problem such as overfeeding in the tank. if feeding in amounts that the shrimp can eat in an hour, the pond snail population will be controlled

a full grown adult pond snail is like the size of an apple seed.

that's not what you have.

INFO:they want to store up fat before laying eggs.

not over feeding,they may breed less,but pond snails are still a problem.;)

not a snail expert....they look like mystery snails to me.

14 hours ago, zodiac said:

a full grown adult pond snail is like the size of an apple seed.

that's not what you have.

INFO:they want to store up fat before laying eggs.

not over feeding,they may breed less,but pond snails are still a problem.;)

not a snail expert....they look like mystery snails to me.

definitely not mystery snails. mystery snails look exactly like the older ones when little just smaller. these guys have the shell shape of nerites imo

2 hours ago, ImDisclose said:

Day 5: Messy Feeding Dish

My feeding fish has algae growing on it and tiny little critters jumping around. Should I clean it?

image.jpg

usually the feeding dish is there so that once theyre done you can take out all the left overs so they wont muck up the tank, so yeah you probably should clean it :P