Substrate for cherry shrimp

Just throwing out some ideas. I use sand in my cory tank and just have a section where there is some rounded gravel for java ferns. Grows super slow though. Java fern or anubias on rock or wood as well. I think buce too but I have no experience with it. Moss will grow pretty much no matter what and I love the little ledges for shrimp. I've got about 20 of these between three 10 gallon tanks. If you are planning things out now you could put osmocote down beneath the sand in areas you want plants. Just don't make the sand too deep. If doing swords you can use root tabs inserted into the sand too. I used black sand from petco and it works great. I also used black diamond blasting sand in my shrimp tanks. Just switching the corys from that to a really fine sand now because they can't push the petco sand around as easily. I have put plants right into the sand before with no ferts and they grew fine. The corys just like to sift around and they would get uprooted every few weeks. With shrimp you won't have this problem though.

You can grow some plants with sand. If your using moss, anubias, java fern, buce - all of those suit a shrimp tank and especially will do fine in a tank with sand. If you want to do rooted plants, it really depends on what your thinking. Some plants need ferts so do some google research on what it will take to grow specific plants