Cherry shrimp care and breeding.

Just now, OMG Aquatics said:

21C is fine for them. There is no such thing as a "best food". There are many foods available in which you can pick from.

You can start off with 10-20 in a 10 gallon.

Well to rephrase it, what is a good food that will provide ample nutrients and enough beta carotene to create high quality pigmentation? So what would be the maximum I could keep in a 10gal after they all start breeding? Would 30 be fine?

I'd say 150-200 Adults max. The key is filtration when it comes to overstocking. As long as ammonia/nitrite remains 0 and nitrates are low, you are good.

If your intentions are to sell them once breeding is good, it is NOT recommended to feed color enhancing foods. If you want good color, you'd have to do it via genetics. If it's just a show tank, you can try foods with Astaxanthin. A lot of foods provide ample nutrients. You can pick whichever you like. There are many shrimp food sellers.

6 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

I'd say 150-200 Adults max. The key is filtration when it comes to overstocking. As long as ammonia/nitrite remains 0 and nitrates are low, you are good.

If your intentions are to sell them once breeding is good, it is NOT recommended to feed color enhancing foods. If you want good color, you'd have to do it via genetics. If it's just a show tank, you can try foods with Astaxanthin. A lot of foods provide ample nutrients. You can pick whichever you like. There are many shrimp food sellers.

That's a lot more shrimp than I thought! I guess I'm used to animals where certain food produce an increase of a visual trait. How tolerant are these guys to copper and whatnot? I'm thinking of doing a planted tank with them but I'm certain that the ferts wouldn't mix well with these guys. Thanks for the replies!

2 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

they are not tolerant to copper at all.  it is best to use shrimp-safe ferts.

There's a lot of misleading information which gets past on and on.

Copper is only toxic to shrimp at high levels such as copper based fish medications.

Here's a test done by Tom Barr.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/100-low-tech-forum/33859-seachem-flourish-cu-trace-harmful-cheery-shrimps.html#post292781

200mL of Flourish in 20 Gallon water = 0.003 Cu

If you follow dosing instructions by Seachem, 5mL of Flourish in 60 Gallon water = 0.00002 Cu

maybe Im part of the problem of spreading misinformation about things like copper.  That is just all I have ever heard even though I know others dose Flourish in their shrimp tanks, I just thought it tolerated and not great for them.

16 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

maybe Im part of the problem of spreading misinformation about things like copper.  That is just all I have ever heard even though I know others dose Flourish in their shrimp tanks, I just thought it tolerated and not great for them.

That's all i heard too when I first joined this hobby. 

1 hour ago, Themaniac19 said:

Just one more questions. I've been reading a lot about TDS, pH and GH. Do they actually matter? I know that fish couldn't care less.

You'll want a pH around 7.0-7.8 for cherry shrimp. GH should be roughly 8 GH. Too low or too high GH results in molting failure which means death.

23 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

You'll want a pH around 7.0-7.8 for cherry shrimp. GH should be roughly 8 GH. Too low or too high GH results in molting failure which means death.

I have no idea what my hardness is. Could I just dose chitin or do shrimp use a different polysaccharide for their exoskeleton?