Identification please - dark blue / black tiger with tan stripe ?

UKColin

Hi, I'm new at shrimp keeping and new to the forum (hello!) and bought what were described as blue tiger shrimp from local dealer.  They are dark bluish-black, 2 of the females have a brown stripe down their back as you can see in the photo, the other female (right in the photo) doesn't, she is dark all over (and berried) the the moment. Spotted a few fry in my tank so they're obviously happy enough.
Can anyone fill me in on what I've actually got please ?

Much appreciated!
Colin.

20170423_192531.jpg

And here's a close-up of the less stripy female - carrying plenty of eggs, and another with her stripy friend.  Males are vertical dark stripes.

Help to identify would be much appreciated.  Want to get more shrimps so need to know what won't interbreed.

Cheers.

P1050074.JPG

P1050083.JPG

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Those actually look like Neocaridina. Tiger shrimp belong to the Caridina family, and will not have a back stripe. You may have a Black Rose, or one of the Blue type Neos. The genetics get kind of funky with the Blues.

Here's a picture of one of my lighter Orange Eye Blue Tigers, and another of a Royal Blue Tiger.

CAM01506.jpg

CAM01643.jpg

On Tuesday, April 25, 2017 at 0:19 AM, Fishprinceofca said:

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum and the hobby!

Those actually look like Neocaridina. Tiger shrimp belong to the Caridina family, and will not have a back stripe. You may have a Black Rose, or one of the Blue type Neos. The genetics get kind of funky with the Blues.

Here's a picture of one of my lighter Orange Eye Blue Tigers, and another of a Royal Blue Tiger.

CAM01506.jpg

CAM01643.jpg

Caridina mariae can have a backstripe. Especially wild ones.

20170417_094632.jpg