20 gal long divided tank?

Now that I have my Crystal Red Shrimp tank up and running, the shrimp bite has definitely hit me again. I want to start a new tank with blue bolts. I was wondering has anyone taken a 20 gal long tank and just divided it in the middle with something thus creating essentially 2 tanks now.

Of course I will have filtration on both sides. Just figured to reduce space and stuff I can easily just get a 20 gal long and divide it in the middle to set up another shrimp tank.

Thanks.

Any advice on what to use to divide it? and how?

I currently have a 12G long, and I am itching to get a 20G long too!

I thought about a divided tank a while back, I like how Mark from Mark's Shrimp tanks has his divided tank set up. 

It looks like a piece of acrylic cut the size of the tank with two small holes cut out and replaced with stainless steel sink guards. His divided tank looks exactly like how I would want mine, a canister filter with a spray car leading into both tanks, and a sponge filter in each side. For the divider however I would make a bigger hole in the acrylic and use a bigger stainless steel piece to allow more flow between the tanks, just make sure the SS mesh is fine enough so babies can't get through!

58fe5382eca25_ScreenShot2017-04-24at12_35_07PM.png.84ea8a0bd30c11fed784aa8014d32176.png

I attached a screenshot from one of his videos link is below!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80sXwWJrdJo&t=683s

it also crossed my mind to just use a matten filter as the divider as well! Should have good flow through it already. No need to drill anything. Just need to get the right size and maybe silicone it or have rocks or something hold it in place.

I think i will jump the gun and buy the tank now. I believe petco has $1 gal fish tank sale right now.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquacity-Sponge-Filter-Aquarium-Canister/dp/B01ESXXBNW/ref=sr_1_50?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1493068329&sr=1-50&keywords=sponge+filter

I dont think the matten filter would be a good idea, using mesh to cover a hole on a acrylic or pvc board is also easy maintenance, just brush it clean without removing it. If you had a huge piece of foam and it ever gets clogged or you have algae growth it'll be a nightmare to remove and clean and then put back. Just my thoughts on it. 

I also don't think there will be enough flow generated in the tank to provide adequate filtration for both sides of the tank by using the sponge in the middle.

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

I have a 20 gallon long that I did this with. I siliconed a piece of glass in the middle. Its like having two tanks. I didn't do anything for flow or shared filtration. Just decided one day to make 1 tank into two tanks :)

Did you need 2 heaters?

Eventually the glass on the heated side would transfer heat to the other half but the process would take a day or two and even then it would be a few degrees off for sure. 

So the mesh option is good and you can supply one side with flow and have the intake on the other side with a small cannister filter. This would even out the heat as well ?

I documented how I divided a 30 long into four sections. It has worked really well. Three of the four sections are currently occupied with lots of wee tiny shrimp. Now, four sections is a little tight. The next one I do will be either 2-3 sections max. 

I think the HMF in the middle is a great idea!  Use 2 pieces of foam on either side of the uplift tube, and instead of an elbow at the top of the uplift use a "T" fitting to output flow to both sides of the HMF.  I don't see why this wouldn't work well.  And you could put your heater and any other ancillary items (Mineral Stones, Purigen, etc...) in between the foam pieces.  Just my $.02.

Or yo can just something similar to what I did, On the back of the HMF sponge you can place the heater since the water will be shared but fully divided from the sponge.

Split mine.jpg

If you use an hmf but do two different layers of foam it would eliminate any problems of breaking the separation when you go to clean one of the sponges. also would be a great place to hide a heater in to heat both sides. I've thought about doing this before and it seemed to have no draw backs in my mind, also isn't as permanent as siliconing in glass or plexiglass

I think the HMF in the middle is a great idea!  Use 2 pieces of foam on either side of the uplift tube, and instead of an elbow at the top of the uplift use a "T" fitting to output flow to both sides of the HMF.  I don't see why this wouldn't work well.  And you could put your heater and any other ancillary items (Mineral Stones, Purigen, etc...) in between the foam pieces.  Just my $.02.

wow I never even thought about a t fitting instead of two different pipes, you're a genius! I'm definitely going to try this..