Taiwan Bee Journey- Blue Bolts

JLui83

The shrimp bug has definetly hit me. After successfully starting and establishing my 10 gallon Crystal Red shrimp tank. I quickly realized that I want more! So here's my journey/journal of the Taiwan Bee tank. Or more specifically Blue Bolt tank. I don't know why but the lower grade blue bolts look awesome to me with the blue head and white body. Or of course the extreme blue bolts.

Tank Size: 10 gallons

Substrate: SL Aquasoil

Filtration: Dual Sponge Filter rated for 50gal! Whisper tetra air pump rated for 40 gal.(a bit overkill but overfiltration = cleaner water IMO)

Heater: Aqueon Pro 100W. (I probably could have went with the 50W easily but the 100W was cheaper.)

Lighting: Nicrew 20" LED 11Watts

Additions: cholla wood, Alder cones, Indian Almond Leaf

Plants: still deciding on which moss to use. Keeping it low tech.

I should be getting everything in the next couple of days and plan on seeding the tank with beneficial bacteria from the filter in my CRS tank. I was also thinking of running the dual sponge filter in my current tank and then using that in the new tank. Or would I be ok with just squeezing the existing filter into the new tank?

pics to come!

***Side Note... Salty Shrimp gh+ with a TDS 100 = to GH 6

The shrimp bug has definetly hit me. After successfully starting and establishing my 10 gallon Crystal Red shrimp tank. I quickly realized that I want more! So here's my journey/journal of the Taiwan Bee tank. Or more specifically Blue Bolt tank. I don't know why but the lower grade blue bolts look awesome to me with the blue head and white body. Or of course the extreme blue bolts.

Tank Size: 10 gallons
Substrate: SL Aquasoil
Filtration: Dual Sponge Filter rated for 50gal! Whisper tetra air pump rated for 40 gal.(a bit overkill but overfiltration = cleaner water IMO)
Heater: Aqueon Pro 100W. (I probably could have went with the 50W easily but the 100W was cheaper.)
Lighting: Nicrew 20" LED 11Watts
Additions: cholla wood, Alder cones, Indian Almond Leaf
Plants: still deciding on which moss to use. Keeping it low tech.

I should be getting everything in the next couple of days and plan on seeding the tank with beneficial bacteria from the filter in my CRS tank. I was also thinking of running the dual sponge filter in my current tank and then using that in the new tank. Or would I be ok with just squeezing the existing filter into the new tank?

pics to come!

DO NOT SQUEEZE THE FILTER INTO THE TANK BECAUSE YOULL GET A HUGGGGEEE SPIKE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some of my equipment arrived.

The Nicrew LED light is awesome. I"m really digging the nice bright LED lights and the inexpensive cost that came with it! So far I really like it.

Still waiting for my sponge filter and substrate. Both should be arriving tomorrow.  Can't wait to fill this bad boy up and start the cycle process!

Painted the back of the tank with some Plasti dip that i had left laying around.

Started the tank today

May 1, 2017

With my order of SL-Aqua soil i was given a little sample of SL-Aqua Milione.

I added it all on top of the SL-Aqua soil. Filled the tank up with RODI water and remineralized it with salty shrimp gh+. Not sure if Added just a tad bit to much but it raised the gh a little much. I also added Tetra Safestart. I wonder of this bumped the gh up a little.

TDS is at 140

Gh 7

Kh 0-1

Ph is around 6.4

Temp set at 75*F

-Added the whole bottle of tetra safestart which was for a 20 gal tank.

-Added 3 pieces of cholla wood

-Not of fan of the tannins so im soaking an Indian Almond Leaf and a handful of Alder cones

20170501_163856_HDR.jpg

-Added some Beneficial Bacteria from another tank's filter

-Added 3 ml of Pure Ammonia.... should get me to 2ppm Ammonia

The concentration is pretty low on this Ammonia.

Tank cleared up real quick!

Probably from me over filtering the tank.

20170501_194738_HDR.jpg

-Ammonia is around 2ppm

im really liking the double sponge filter more than the hydro single spong filters. Makes the tank feel like it has more room in there since the sponges are up against the glass. I may switch over my other tank with a double one too.

Aqueon Pro heater is also a nice addition being all black, it blends in nicely with he painted black background. I probably didnt need to put a heater in there but at least it give me a consistent temp rather than rely on the room temp.

Friday May 5, 2017

-Tested Ammonia still around 1-2ppm

-I've been keeping the lights on on 24/7 hoping to hurry up and bloom some biofilm and algae.

-Temps have been raised to around 78*F

I'll check Ammonia again probably sometime next week.

Day 12

May 12, 2017

-Ammonia still reading steady at 1ppm-2ppm no change.

-Nitrite = 0ppm

-Nitrate = 5ppm-10ppm

Doesn't look like theres much cycling going on here. My last tank i used bio spira and tetra safestart for my bacteria..... This tank is only tetra safestart. I dont think my seeded filter gunk was enough to do anything. I might go spring for some bio spira again or just wait it out. I'll try squeezing some more of the filter media into this tank.

20170512_101118_HDR.jpg

Day 17

Added second dose of Mosura BT-9 per the instructions. a little less than a spoon full. 

There is a TON of biofilm built up in the tank now. Added 2 Marimo Balls from my other tank and some subwassertang and a couple of frogbit floaters.

20170517_162520_HDR.jpg

Day 21

Dosed Mosura BT-9 

*EDIT*

Checked parameters tonight. Looks like the cycle is moving!!

Ammonia = .25ppm - .50ppm

Nitrite = Really high. Very purple. maybe 5.0ppm

Nitrate = Around 20ppm

My previous tank during cycling, I did not show any Nitrite at all during the whole cycle (probably because whatever beneficial bacteria i had converted it right away.

I'll check in a few days to see if the Nitrite goes back down to 0ppm. If it does then I"ll add a little bit of ammonia to make sure the cycle is strong!

20170521_194511_HDR.jpg