What kind of shrimp is this fella?

bobthesushiguy

Hello, 

So, I was wondering what type of shrimp this was?

I ordered 6 "dream blue velvet" shrimps, but this fella looked more like a carbon rili/blue rili in a way to me.

I could be totally wrong since I have never seen a carbon/blue rili in real life.

But, he is transparent in the middle of his/her body. Completely black on the head and his tail is half black/half transparent. (could be really dark blue, I can never tell)

The photo makes his middle body look blue, but he is more transparent with random blue patches that are really small. I thought he lost half his tail, but I stared at his tail for a long time and realized half of it is transparent. I just dont understand his tail being half transparent and black/darkblue too. 

I contacted the seller and he told me it is most likely a male who hasnt finished maturing. He also stated that he has no other shrimps except dream blue/velvets?

This shrimp really looks nothing like the other ones I got as a package.

Whats going on o.o?? So confused.

or is he just an oddball? 

If u guys need more photos let me know! 

20170427_171633.jpg

20170427_171030.jpg

20170427_171033.jpg

Looks like blue dreams that I have. If its head is blueish color should be blue dreams, if its more of a black color then its carbon rili.  When I was buying the blue dreams I was choosing both really dark blue ones but also some of brighter ones like the one you have. After brought home and putting them into the tank, few weeks later the really dark blue ones got brighter. When I bought them I bought also one chocolate shrimp by mistake. They were keeping chocolates and blue dreams together and since their color was so dark, it was difficult to see whether it was chocolate or blue dream at that time. After few weeks that chocolate which was really dark brown nearly black got kind of brownish and transparent color.

It may be because of the color of the substrate that their color changed so much, maybe some more experienced shrimp keepers could shed some light on the reason. I am using dark ADA amazonia substrate.  

BTW I keep them with CRS and CBS, so I also put the water params that I keep mine just in case for comparison (they are thriving, I have berried shrimp all the time, and also CRS are starting to get berried):

Shrimp tank is about 2 months old.

PH: 6.7

GH: 6

KH: 0

TDS: 170

Temperature: 24-25C

Below are some images, note that brown chocolate shrimp, when I bought it it was nearly black. The other blue dream shrimps, when bought were very dark blue.

20170430_203226.jpg

20170430_203357.jpg

20170430_203131.jpg