Non-stop Berried CRS?

ddd_sss

Hi everyone!

So recently my experience has crushed my expectations, in a good way!

My a previous thread I started about my first CRS babies I started two weeks ago, and so far the two females that have given birth.....ARE BERRIED AGAIN?! 

This happened to the first female, who appeared to be saddled even during pregnancy. After she gave birth a few days later, she molted causing a mating frenzy. I thought to myself "nah, she just gave birth no way she's ready again" 

wait for it....

The next morning she was berried again.

Then today, same thing happened, the female that gave birth to my second batch of babies just 3-4 days ago, woke up today found 2 molts, and she was berried again!

In the 2 months I've had this tank, So far I've had 2 batches of babies and currently have 7 berried females out of the 13 I started with. 

I'm just curious has anyone else had similar experiences? Your CRS just non-stop getting berried?

Here are some pics of future shrimp mama's!

IMG_0898.JPG.28c82e9e8196981720b7c35946c32c64.JPGIMG_1061.JPG.0ff934c43d90804e5bf2ee1fa3dbba2b.JPGIMG_1063.JPG.ab91815275d6a36c401b306741136d9a.JPGIMG_1067.JPG.afa71c77e93d347e03d6a3ce504883df.JPGIMG_1039.JPG.975f4e229b3e15c1c39d72bc78546b3d.JPG

Oh and I have one more question, at what age so you guys/girls start to cull your tanks? From my babies so far I spot a lot of potential for some possible SS-SSS and a few that I kind of want to move to my cull tank that I've prepared. Any advice one what age or when it's best to cull?

2 minutes ago, illest_to_fly said:

Happen to me all the time , the guys don't stop mating man , once a girl molts they literally go hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's crazy, from all the research and stuff I've done I was expecting a lot slower results.

Like from sexual maturity

1. It depends on the water conditions etc. 
  2. Then they get saddled (2-3 weeks)
  3. molt
  4. mate
  5. slowly gets berried
  6. gives birth in 3-4 weeks

I figured it'll all take at least 3-4 months to get a healthy colony going. Figuring out water parameters, plant needs, shrimp needs, balance, etc... I guess i just got super lucky!! :)

you can cull at any time as long as the other tank is ready for shrimp.  try to keep the other tank at the same parameters & temp as the tank they are coming from.  but in general I dont move mine for 2-3 weeks after they are born. 

I work mine in the opposite direction as you seem to be about to do.  I "cull" the lesser quality out of the main tank instead of the better quality.  It is peace of mind for me as I try not to stress the better quality if I dont have to.

1 hour ago, chappy6107 said:

you can cull at any time as long as the other tank is ready for shrimp.  try to keep the other tank at the same parameters & temp as the tank they are coming from.  but in general I dont move mine for 2-3 weeks after they are born. 

I work mine in the opposite direction as you seem to be about to do.  I "cull" the lesser quality out of the main tank instead of the better quality.  It is peace of mind for me as I try not to stress the better quality if I dont have to.

haha i might have said it a little confusing, but I am moving the lesser quality ones to the cull tank, and keeping the "nicer" ones in the main tank to continue their genetics!

5 hours ago, emaratilicious said:

Can you please share the water parameters and substrate used ?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi Emaratilicious,

I'm using Fluval shrimp stratum, Salty shrimp GH+, RO/DI water

TDS - 120-130

PH - 6.5-6.7

Temp - 70-73

I dont have a water test kit :o so I don't know ammonia, nitrates, nitrites...I do 10% weekly water changes though..just to replenish minerals/suck out detritus...

4 hours ago, NotKelly said:

damn I wish I had that much luck! good job, you're obviously doing something right!!

Thanks Notkelly! I think i'm just super lucky!..haha

4 hours ago, Dluxeshrimps said:

Congrats. I just saw I have a berried PRL! Super excited. 

Thats awesome Dluxe! Yeah i have 4 PRL's in there and a few high grade SS-SSS ones, I'm stoked to see what comes out of them! :)

Congrats ddd_sss. I admire how you managed to get them to feed from the feeding bowl. I use that too, but they dislike going into the feeding bowl.

Once they start breeding, its non-stop. I have 7 PRLs. And all 4 females were berried. Then they hatch, and a week later berried again. But I had to wait for about 2 months before seeing the first berried.

Btw, can I ask what lens did you use to take those photos? They are excellent.

53 minutes ago, aquaprawn said:

Congrats ddd_sss. I admire how you managed to get them to feed from the feeding bowl. I use that too, but they dislike going into the feeding bowl.

Once they start breeding, its non-stop. I have 7 PRLs. And all 4 females were berried. Then they hatch, and a week later berried again. But I had to wait for about 2 months before seeing the first berried.

Btw, can I ask what lens did you use to take those photos? They are excellent.

Hi aquaprawn! They wouldn't use the feeding bowl at first, however I left the bowl in there for about a week or two and they all started swarming it..haha..and I actually just used an iPhone 6s to take the photos, I have a Nikon D90 but no macro lens..after seeing some shrimp pics though I think I might just have to invest in a macro lens!

On 5/3/2017 at 8:19 PM, aquaprawn said:

Thank you so much!! I'm certainly impressed with the 6s.

Those are really nice looking PRL you have there partying in the bowl :P

Thanks! I'm starting to see some very promising SSS babies emerging! I can't wait...haha

I should probably think about isolating my CRS from the CBS, but for now all the CRS are youngsters.  Two of my previous berried females are berried again.  It's surprising as one is quite a ways along and you can see the color difference in her eggs, so it shouldn't be over a week before more young start appearing.

1 minute ago, LesterBee said:

I should probably think about isolating my CRS from the CBS, but for now all the CRS are youngsters.  Two of my previous berried females are berried again.  It's surprising as one is quite a ways along and you can see the color difference in her eggs, so it shouldn't be over a week before more young start appearing.

Hi Lester,

Sounds super exciting! I updated some baby shrimp pics in my other thread! here's a link if you want to see :)

1 minute ago, ddd_sss said:

Hi Lester,

Sounds super exciting! I updated some baby shrimp pics in my other thread! here's a link if you want to see :)

I know everyone else is using bigger tanks than I'm using.   My 'main tank' right now, which is the one that's really going strong for shrimp baby survival is a pair of little gallon and a half's with a HOB pumping half of it's flow into upper the 'tub' half, which overflows into the main tank.  It's kinda nuts as there are over 40 young and 5 adults in the bigger main tank, with 6 adults and new batch of teensy, just hatched ones in the tub half.   I keep thinking if I'd been doing this in a 10 gallon I'd still have lots of shrimp, but would I have more?  I mean they're CBS in A~S grade and not really desirable, but I also keep native Bees and no-one seems to want native Bees.

Gallon and a half, sounds super small. I started with some 2.5 gallons, however I started to realized how much MORE work small planted tanks are, as opposed to larger tanks. Native bees? like wild bees? Those seem like a fun breeding project, however I would definitely get a bigger tank. 

Because they're 'joined' by an Aquaclear 20, they're really about 3.1 gallons total.  The water circulates through both tanks, there's a huge snarl of Java Moss and Fern and a large floating water sprite in the tub section.   My focus has always been on the plants more than the livestock, I'm almost embarrassed to post pictures of my 20H planted tank as you can barely see the fish.