The work desk tank

Triton

Hey guys!

Going to be doing a tank at work for some type of caridina i think. IMG_0684.JPG.1b22102a80b4aedc4db84b317c65a02a.JPG

Gonna bring my tds pen in to check on the water quality I'm working with.

I'm thinking a 10g on top of the file cabinet... but may need to reinforce that a bit since the edges are strong but top alone i don't trust.

30 minutes ago, Triton said:

Shop at work is going to be cutting me a 1/4" steel sheet to go on top of the file cabinet - don't think I need to worry about strength anymore

Nice!  I was going to suggest a thin sheet of plywood, but steel works better.

Just some notes: Unless that's stainless steel, and it looks like mild steel plate,  if you splash anything on that it will rust guaranteed. You should see if you can get it powder coated, Black or a dark Zolotone would be a great, and it would last forever.

Dragonstone and Bee and (or) Tiger shrimp would be a bad mix as the Dragonstone generally is a form of Limestone and will slowly and inevitably bump up your carbonate hardness.  Best to use a Caridinia shrimp safe rock with little or no carbonates.

Seiryu stone is a type of limestone, dragon stone is clay based and inert from my knowledge.

I may paint the plate black, powder coating isn't really an option for me at the moment

Here is the game plan:

Tank: 15 Gallon Long, 3 sides painted black (bottom, back, end)

Light: Micmol Air

Substrate: Controsoil

Products: MK Breed (complete)

Hardscape: Spiderwood / Dragon stone

Filtration: Corner HMF from swiss tropicals

Shrimp: The big TBD... have some in mind, just a matter of availability 

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Seiryu stone is a type of limestone, dragon stone is clay based and inert from my knowledge.

I may paint the plate black, powder coating isn't really an option for me at the moment

I've heard that it was.   Maybe that source is wrong, but the best test would be to keep it in a bucket of soft or RO water and test for KH after a week or two.  Yeah the thing about painting it is,  it will possibly release volatile aerosols for weeks, if not months afterwards,  Not the case with powder coat.

Not good for shrimp.

Yeah powdercoating expensive, I live in Rust Central and the steel items I've had powder coated have all weathered well despite the marine air and humidity.

Quick update:

-My feeding area I tried to make with Lexan and silicone, looked horrible so pulled it and starting from scratch.

-Soil in stock, ready to go. Got a bunch in to up my stock for the website :)

-HMF has shipped

-Redoing the feeding area, got an idea, if it works you will get to see it :)

• 3 weeks later...