Hey! I'm new to the hobby. I have a tank that's been live cycling with a couple white cloud mountain minnows for a while. I'm still having a struggle with chloramines, but once that's dealt with and the minnows go back to my lfs (Forest Lake Pets) I am gonna move on to setting up my tank. Here's the skinny of it:

26gal bowfront, Aqueon Quietflow 30 (I think), got some tasty gunk building up on the glass and driftwood, pretty solid flow and aeration, temp unregulated right now for the minnows' sake.

My vision is to turn this into a pretty low-tech planted aquarium. Seachem Flourite Black substrate, hair grass carpet, moss on the driftwood centerpiece, and taller background plants (yet to be determined), and some sweet little stones (or marimo moss balls if the light is good enough). Black background on it too. I want to have this lush green/black palette with some fantastic red shrimps living in it.

I just want to have a colony of red shrimps that breed true for the most part. I don't feel excited about aggressively culling them all. They don't have to be extremely hardy-- I am still probably gonna wait about a month to plant it and make sure I've figured out how to do my water changes. That's about it.

Red shrimps. Low cull rate. Preferably something that won't keel over dead at the drop of 0.1 pH-- I'm definitely a beginner. Stripes/patterns are cool as long as the red shows up strong in the adult offspring. Any species that fit this ok?

(Price isn't too important, I'm buying all this spread out enough that my savings will survive the colony starters. Unless I kill them. In that case I'm probably gonna give up and grab some tetras and perhaps a different invert.)

I would start with Neocaridina's since they are very hardy and great for a beginner shrimp keeper. it may be difficult to get used to shrimp keeping but here in this forum we are very willing to help. I personally started with Painted Fire Red shrimp and took me about a year of having other types of Neocaridinas until I felt comfortable to move on to caridinas

@Dluxeshrimps 

Ah sure ok! Thank you so much for the advice, and the warm reception! :)

Do you have any recommendations for whom I should purchase from? I live in the Midwest US if that's relevant for shipping.

8 minutes ago, psitta said:

@Dluxeshrimps 

Ah sure ok! Thank you so much for the advice, and the warm reception! :)

Do you have any recommendations for whom I should purchase from? I live in the Midwest US if that's relevant for shipping.

I live in Chicago, IL

I myself have shrimp to sell. send me a message.

have a look at my site, I can work something out for you.

dluxeshrimps.com

or on instagram under my business name

1 minute ago, Dluxeshrimps said:

I live in Chicago, IL

I myself have shrimp to sell. send me a message.

have a look at my site, I can work something out for you.

dluxeshrimps.com

or on instagram under my business name

Mm sure thing! Thank you.

3 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Struggling with chloramines? Use Seachem Prime.

I just bought a bottle yesterday! I hope it works out well!

Wow nice!!! I am a beginner at this too!

Seems like you probably know all the basics and probably more! :D

Im not sure if I would be of any help, but...

Buying almond leaves will be great for them~ There are so many other types of leaves that you can use to put in the tank for the shrimp to graze on. Most importantly, make sure if you ever find leaves from the wild that it is free of pesticide! 

Almond leaves help a lot with keeping shrimp safe from infections/fungus.

Also, make sure that you prepare the most safest way to help the shrimp adapt to their new tank~ 

I feed my shrimps blanched spinach! (good with calcium and other nutrients) 

Also, they poop A LOT more than you might expect. Maybe it was just me xD 

If you see your shrimp go missing one day, try not to worry! They might have molted and can be in hiding~ :D HAVE FUN