Emergency help needed

Hey guys... I will keep this short, I just noticed one of my male orange sakuras has a black spot on his head. please tell me if its a disease, how to treat it or if he is fine. I put him in a small tube that floats around the aquarium in the meantime.
The spot is on the side of the shrimp, inside the shell.

no, I cannot give you my water parameters as I don't have a testing kit, they cost 300-500 USD here.

IMG_20170504_013422.jpg

IMG_20170504_013408.jpg

18 minutes ago, Living Shrimply said:

Most likely his internal organs. 

Aren't those in the middle and a light grey color? This spot is far to the side and very dark, like his eyes. he was also laying down flat and very still though he did react very well to me catching him and he was not on his side but forgive me for being worried, these are my very first shrimp.

I agree with living shrimply. I think he just had a good meal. I think there is a shrimp anatomy post in the archives. The stomach and organs are much higher on the body/ head than you would think.

12 minutes ago, Shrimporama said:

I agree with living shrimply. I think he just had a good meal. I think there is a shrimp anatomy post in the archives. The stomach and organs are much higher on the body/ head than you would think.

I understand, but im not talking about the whole black part as a whole. im talking about the tiny black part thats only on the second picture behind the eye and a very small bit to the right of the organs. it is only on the right side. it isn't black spot disease, right? I feel like Im shaking a bit, Im really stressed out and I have a migraine.

Here is a better picture. shrimp is on his side now so no, it is NOT his organs in the picture. what is wrong and how do I treat it?

IMG_20170504_120558.jpg

57 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

they wouldnt hurt, but they wont solve what ever the issue might be.

Then what would solve the problem?

27 minutes ago, Umbra said:

Then what would solve the problem?

No idea, because the pics you posted look like internal organs to me.  If it is something different, the pictures are not clear enough to make a determination of what it could be.

4 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

No idea, because the pics you posted look like internal organs to me.  If it is something different, the pictures are not clear enough to make a determination of what it could be.

ironically you cannot see the organs in the newest picture, just the spot. he is laying on his side, and the spot is only on his right side, very pronounced. you can see the organs in the older pictures, but the spot is seperated from them. I will mark them on the picture.

The symptoms were that he was lathargic, he was walking very low to the ground, not swimming, not eating, seemed disoriented, twitchy and slow reactions.

IMG_20170504_013408.jpg.aae184a8827e6d76528d6807ceee2b3b.jpg

IMG_20170504_120558.jpg.4a86206182caae67dba9521ac275bfdc.jpg

Well I mean they can have more than one internal organ which is what you're seeing. Probably the guts of the food. that last pic I'm Looking at appears cause of death is a failed molt due to the split in the seek between the head and the body as you can see. Failed molt can result in a lack of minerals or too much hardness. That also explains why it died and why it was on its side because it was having trouble molting. Catappa leaves won't do much. You'll need to either replenish minerals or take away but we can't tell since you have no way of testing the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ohmiko said:

Well I mean they can have more than one internal organ which is what you're seeing. Probably the guts of the food. that last pic I'm Looking at appears cause of death is a failed molt due to the split in the seek between the head and the body as you can see. Failed molt can result in a lack of minerals or too much hardness. That also explains why it died and why it was on its side because it was having trouble molting. Catappa leaves won't do much. You'll need to either replenish minerals or take away but we can't tell since you have no way of testing the water.

true, true. I'm working on that too. Will powdered eggshells help? I've asked that in a few other forums and the question was ignored like a turd, lol.

do you have a local fish store that could test water for you? or perhaps a water shop? If you are using tap water, can you call your water dept and ask what parameters the water is? Is there a swimming pool supply near they may have testing equipement within ranges of shrimp parameters.  I had an issue with some yellow neo's a year or so ago. Similar demise. Eating & active then gone. They were very mature adults. After taking out every decorative rock and testing it, doing big RO/remineralized water changes, in the end, I believe that it was failed molts. I had to adjust some water parameters and I varied their diets.  I also alder cones and leaves.  I think part of my tank problem was aging active substrate too. I have had all types of very successful, flourishing salt, reef and freshwater tanks since I was a kid and all I can say that dwarf shrimp are quite sensitive and have very clean and stable water requirements. I am so thankful for finding this forum as I have learned so much about their care and requirements. I am very sorry for your loss and hope you have much success from now on.

2 hours ago, Shrimporama said:

do you have a local fish store that could test water for you? or perhaps a water shop? If you are using tap water, can you call your water dept and ask what parameters the water is? Is there a swimming pool supply near they may have testing equipement within ranges of shrimp parameters.  I had an issue with some yellow neo's a year or so ago. Similar demise. Eating & active then gone. They were very mature adults. After taking out every decorative rock and testing it, doing big RO/remineralized water changes, in the end, I believe that it was failed molts. I had to adjust some water parameters and I varied their diets.  I also alder cones and leaves.  I think part of my tank problem was aging active substrate too. I have had all types of very successful, flourishing salt, reef and freshwater tanks since I was a kid and all I can say that dwarf shrimp are quite sensitive and have very clean and stable water requirements. I am so thankful for finding this forum as I have learned so much about their care and requirements. I am very sorry for your loss and hope you have much success from now on.

Nope, the closest place is an hour's drive and the car's not what I'd call road-worthy thanks to an accident 2 days ago.

Would mulberry leaves and powdered eggshells help?

adding eggshells will only help if you need the calcium/other mineral they are providing.  If you already have too much of it in the tank then adding it will make things worse.  mulberry leaves wont hurt anything.  I suspect your gh/kh is out of whack.  Until you can test and correct it (if needed)  you will continue to have these problems.  If getting a test kit is not feasible then I would suggest RO water and a shrimp remineralizer.  Do some research on here to find out how much of the specific shrimp remin. is needed to set kh/gh to the best parameters for your shrimp.

7 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

adding eggshells will only help if you need the calcium/other mineral they are providing.  If you already have too much of it in the tank then adding it will make things worse.  mulberry leaves wont hurt anything.  I suspect your gh/kh is out of whack.  Until you can test and correct it (if needed)  you will continue to have these problems.  If getting a test kit is not feasible then I would suggest RO water and a shrimp remineralizer.  Do some research on here to find out how much of the specific shrimp remin. is needed to set kh/gh to the best parameters for your shrimp.

shrimp was illegal over here or years until recently, all the products i get for them have to be imported. there is no way for my to get remineralizers here locally not have I found a place to order from except shrimptank.com. So far shrimp have been doing much better though. Remineralizing water is stupidly expensive and I do not have that kind of money.

Please explain how too much calcium can be damaging.

Are fish illegal too? gH & kH test kits are for all aquariums, not just shrimp keeping ones. So is pretty much everything else related to substrate, water, or lightning. If fish are legal, you can purchase all of these online at eBay or alibaba. http://www.ebay.com/gds/Beginners-Guide-to-ebay-for-South-Africans-/10000000016382951/g.html

2 hours ago, huntingtrees said:

Are fish illegal too? gH & kH test kits are for all aquariums, not just shrimp keeping ones. So is pretty much everything else related to substrate, water, or lightning. If fish are legal, you can purchase all of these online at eBay or alibaba. http://www.ebay.com/gds/Beginners-Guide-to-ebay-for-South-Africans-/10000000016382951/g.html

I do not appreciate the sarcasm, but yes, a lot of fish are illegal here too, including plecos (excluding BN and 2 others), nearly all snails, nearly all crayfish and all turtles ant tortoises. even tarantulas.

No, I have never seen any of those products in the stores even when looking.  This is south africa, not america. We don't have all that fancy stuff, Though the sites you mentioned as well as a few others have the things I need, most of them (The products) wont ship to me like ebay or amazon. Not sure about alibaba, but I have contacted shrimptank.com and they can, luckily.

What part of that came off as sarcasm? South Africa's aquarium hobby laws are obviously different from the States and you even answered the question. Also, stuff on aliexpress and alibaba is much cheaper than anywhere else and will usually ship to anywhere in the world. 

12 minutes ago, huntingtrees said:

What part of that came off as sarcasm? South Africa's aquarium hobby laws are obviously different from the States and you even answered the question. Also, stuff on aliexpress and alibaba is much cheaper than anywhere else and will usually ship to anywhere in the world. 

The "are fish illegal too?" part sounded a bit sarcastic.

I'll check those two sites out right now, thanks for letting my know about aliexpress.

Too much calcium or hardness in water will kill them because it hardens their shell while they're molting so they end up hardened while stuck and die

1 hour ago, ohmiko said:

Too much calcium or hardness in water will kill them because it hardens their shell while they're molting so they end up hardened while stuck and die

This is what I was referring to and the reason why you should test your waters gh/kh.  I understand that you may not have easy access to the kits that we have here, but hopefully aliexpress or alibaba or shrimptank.com can send you what you need.

Ah, i see. ok, that makes sense O_O and yeah, aliexpress does have some of the products I need. btw, what other sites do you know of?