So.. I have a freeze dryer: Homemade shrimp food?

I have a freeze drying machine, so I was thinking of making some homemade shrimp food with it.    What kinda stuff should/can I put in there?

I picked up a few jars of organic baby food that is made of stuff I already know shrimp will eat, carrot, spinach, peas, banana, greenbean, etc

Ive got bee pollen, spirulina, beta glucan, various shrimp mineral stuff (those mineral stones, CSF pure mineral, some mosura "white", Ive got various flaked fishfoods...

Ive seen shrimp foods with things like cinnamon, garlic, etc in them...    Just curious what other sorts of things would be good to feed the little guys.   types of leaves, veggies, fruits, whatever

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.  I've never made sinking foods with a dryer or freeze dryer.  I've used a regular dryer to make flake food for my fish.  The kind of dryer that just passes warm air over the food items/mixture to be dried.  You can also use an oven on warm for that.  Just don't cook it, make sure it only drys...  Parchment paper is good for this as the food can be spread to a thin layer and won't stick to the parchment.

If you want to make shrimp food, you want it to sink.  For that I've always mixed my ingredients with unflavored gelatin and made pellets out of it. First, I prepare the unflavored gelatin as per instructions and then I mix my purreed food items with it.  Then I use a potato ricer with the attachment that has small holes to make ribbons of food on a cookie sheet (or a garlic press).   I cover most of the holes on the ricer/garlic press with duct tape so the food only comes out of the bottom holes.  Then I cover it with saran wrap and put  it in the freezer for an hour or so.  Then I take it out and cut the ribbons into smaller pellets while the ribbons are firm, bag them, remove the air from the bag as best I can and store them in the freezer.

I think to use the freeze dryer, if you eliminated the gelatin, you'd want the food mixture to be as dense as possible so it will sink.  Let us know how your freeze dryer works if you try it!

sweet, I would be interested to see if you could make sinking foods as well!  Otherwise you could try freeze drying leaves and stuff.  They would probably rehydrate and sink when you put them into a tank.