40 Gallon breeder tank divided

Auratus

On 12/5/2017 at 6:53 AM, wyzazz said:

For anyone that is interested, I've split a 20gal long and a 30gal breeder using corner HMF's.

That is ingenious. I need to split some 20's for some small crayfish and I was going to use a big block of foam. I probably will still because I'm feeling lazy but yours is amazing!

10 hours ago, WalterJay said:

That is ingenious. I need to split some 20's for some small crayfish and I was going to use a big block of foam. I probably will still because I'm feeling lazy but yours is amazing!

Thanks for the compliment!  I got the acrylic for free & also had a few tubes of silicone lying around.  The only out of pocket was the foam.  While not as easy as just using foam, I think the end result is more appealing.  And if you are going to do it, it's much easier when you don't have the tank in use!

• 5 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I've been considering a similar configuration and wanted to check up on how it's holding up.  I'm a big fan of 40B tanks (have 3) but I do know they bow a little bit.  When attaching this acrylic or glass to the sides/bottom my concern would be that this bowing would pull it apart over time.  Have you (or anyone else with a similar setup) seen any evidence of this?

7 hours ago, BigJake said:

I know this is an older thread but I've been considering a similar configuration and wanted to check up on how it's holding up.  I'm a big fan of 40B tanks (have 3) but I do know they bow a little bit.  When attaching this acrylic or glass to the sides/bottom my concern would be that this bowing would pull it apart over time.  Have you (or anyone else with a similar setup) seen any evidence of this?

I haven't had any issues in my 20L or 30 Breeders.  

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, chan011 said:

How are you connecting the air tubes to each section? I’m looking at doing something like this for my next tank since I have one Eheim pro 4 filter and woild

ideally like to use the same filter in the new tank if i can. Thanks. Love the idea

I drilled a hole (using a step bit, in reverse) into the foam that was a little smaller than the 3/4" PVC and shoved it through.  The foam is sturdy enough to hold them up.  

Using a canister filter you will need to attempt to rig something up to PVC fittings.