Slow Shrimp Death?

Hello everyone.... I have done TONS of research and can pretty much say I know basically everything about cherry shrimp care.... 

HOWEVER, I cannot seem to get it right for whatever reason.......

Here is my tank specs:

10g tank (100% shrimp only)

cycled tank (2 sponge filters)

3 small cholla wood

1 indian almond leaf

java moss

lava rocks (for surface area for baceria)

heater

Temp: Constant 72F

TDS: 240

GH: 8

KH: 4

PH: 7.4

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: ~5ppm or lower

(like i said, tank is cycled)

So, to get my water quality good, I started with RO water (0TDS) then I remineralized it using Salty Shrimp's "Shrimp Mineral" to raise both KH and GH to my current stats.

I started with 20 cherry shrimp. Now I have about 17.

I have had one cherry die, every like 2-3 days.

What the HELL is going on!??

I am getting very worried....  In my mind, there is nothing wrong that I can see!?

What killed these shrimps? :/ I'm very lost.... 0.o

IMG_0960.JPG

Hello everyone.... I have done TONS of research and can pretty much say I know basically everything about cherry shrimp care.... 
HOWEVER, I cannot seem to get it right for whatever reason.......

Here is my tank specs:
10g tank (100% shrimp only)
cycled tank (2 sponge filters)
3 small cholla wood
java moss
lava rocks (for surface area for baceria)
heater

Temp: Constant 72F
TDS: 240
GH: 8
KH: 4
PH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: ~5ppm or lower
(like i said, tank is cycled)

So, to get my water quality good, I started with RO water (0TDS) then I remineralized it using Salty Shrimp's "Shrimp Mineral" to raise both KH and GH to my current stats.
I started with 20 cherry shrimp. Now I have about 17.
I have had one cherry die, every like 2-3 days.
What the HELL is going on!??
I am getting very worried....  In my mind, there is nothing wrong that I can see!?
What killed these shrimps? :/ I'm very lost.... 0.o

How often do you do water changes and what percentage do you swap out?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ItsCRAYCRAY said:

How often do you do water changes and what percentage do you swap out?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Well since its only a 10g I only do small changes every week.

I do about 5 cups. Maybe like 1 gallon a week???

You would think my TDS would increase as when water quality is getting poor and needs a water change. So I don't think its that :/

You say tank is cycled. How did you cycle the tank?

Sometimes people say cycled when the set up and tank and just let it run for a period of time. Cycling a tank means you add something to grow beneficial bacteria. If this was done properly you will have a tank that has a fully mature biological filter as well as a surplus of bacteria for the shrimp to graze on. 

10 hours ago, bobthesushiguy said:

What do you feed them? 

Im not good enough to give advice, but maybe I can pull something that could of been overlooked. Do you feed anything with copper? Too much protein? How long do you leave your lights on?

My feedings diet are ok.

However, just for your knowledge, it's ok to feed them food with copper trace elements in their food. They actually need that stuff for healthy bodily systems. However, copper in the water is DEADLY, for example dropping meds in water.

9 hours ago, Deez Aquatics said:

You say tank is cycled. How did you cycle the tank?

Sometimes people say cycled when the set up and tank and just let it run for a period of time. Cycling a tank means you add something to grow beneficial bacteria. If this was done properly you will have a tank that has a fully mature biological filter as well as a surplus of bacteria for the shrimp to graze on. 

I've been in the hobby awhile now. I know when my tank is cycled, and of course done properly:)

7 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Where did you get these shrimps?

The source is just as important.

Well I purchased my shrimp from a place called Aquarium Depot.

They had maybe about 100 shrimp in their 10g with a few in there dead while others were eating them or eating moss balls.

So I don't know exactly how "bad" or "dangerous" that is.

I got them about 1-2 weeks ago. You think they came to me bad?

2 minutes ago, therehere3 said:

They had maybe about 100 shrimp in their 10g with a few in there dead while others were eating them or eating moss balls.

You answered that question yourself. :)

I am setting up a 10 gallon with a matten filter as well for the same purpose. Except I am going for CRS. I picked up some Bacter AE and set up the tank with tap water. 1 week in I did a 90% water change I am in week 2 and plan to do the same water change method. After about week 4/5 I plan to get the TDS right and the water proper. I am already seeing little Cyclops appearing on the glass.

Curious as to how you went about your cycle? Subscribed to see how this turns out for you. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, dbpelletier said:

I am setting up a 10 gallon with a matten filter as well for the same purpose. Except I am going for CRS. I picked up some Bacter AE and set up the tank with tap water. 1 week in I did a 90% water change I am in week 2 and plan to do the same water change method. After about week 4/5 I plan to get the TDS right and the water proper. I am already seeing little Cyclops appearing on the glass.

Curious as to how you went about your cycle? Subscribed to see how this turns out for you. Best of luck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bacter AE is does not contain any nitrifying bacteria.

Bacter AE is simply to improve biofilm development and also contains some probiotics.

Also you shouldn't be using tap water to cycle a CRS tank unless your tap water KH is 0.

I got some from a LFS and had them about three weeks. One that looked fine just died out of nowhere. A week later another, but this one seemed to have some dark areas on it that looked blackish red, other than that looked fine. Guessing it may be black spot disease. We never know where these shrimp have been unless we get them from someone reputable that we can actually talk to. My LFS has no idea where these shrimp are really from other than the supplier. Bacterial problems suck. You could try putting 2-3 alder leaves and a couple alder cones in. You want tannin brown water, it's like an antibacterial. Shrimp that had darker areas are now lightening up. It's worth a shot at least.

OMG is right. Those are imported shrimp and the die off is usually what happens with imports. Try some homebred. I have some healthy homebred for sale right now. Alot use a magnifying glass to check for parasites as imports have them often. Best of luck

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

OMG is right. Those are imported shrimp and the die off is usually what happens with imports. Try some homebred. I have some healthy homebred for sale right now. Alot use a magnifying glass to check for parasites as imports have them often. Best of luck

Awesome, where is your store to see if I want to buy from you?:)

4 minutes ago, therehere3 said:

So you would agree they came to me bad?

My others will live and prosper thought right? 

When shrimps are stressed or improperly handled, they don't die overnight. They usually die randomly.

This is why a lot of people who purchases shrimp from "pre-sales" gets their whole order arrive with barely any DOA but by the end of the month 50-100% of the shrimps are dead in your tank.