Shrimp age/Sexual maturity

Hi everyone,

I tried looking for answers, and I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I couldn't find the answer so if anyone could tell me the following:

1. Shrimp life cycle (i.e. From Shrimplet (age?) Juvie (age?) Adult (age?)
  2. When do Caridina become sexually mature?
  3. What is the youngest age before I should start selling my shrimp? (i.e. how old are most of the juvie shrimps for sale?)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

1 and 2 varies and depend on food source. If you want to find an accurate answer, you can do the test yourself. Mature a 10 gallon tank and put 2-3 shrimps in there. No feeding required as they will have a never ending amount of biofilm. Compare growth rates to other tanks with colony.

3 : 0.8 cm - 1.2 cm sounds about right.

I've only done testing for neocaridina and it reached adult size (1.25") in about 5-6 months whereas other tanks whos food source is limited was roughly about 0.75".

55 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

1 and 2 varies and depend on food source. If you want to find an accurate answer, you can do the test yourself. Mature a 10 gallon tank and put 2-3 shrimps in there. No feeding required as they will have a never ending amount of biofilm. Compare growth rates to other tanks with colony.

3 : 0.8 cm - 1.2 cm sounds about right.

I've only done testing for neocaridina and it reached adult size (1.25") in about 5-6 months whereas other tanks whos food source is limited was roughly about 0.75".

Thanks OMG, I think I'm more referring to time, as in is the juvie stage usually between say, 2-3 months, 3-4 months, etc. So far I have 3 batches of CRS babies, each group is distinctive as they're all growing relatively at the same rate so I can distinguish which babies are from which batch.

Unless what you're trying to tell me is that sexual maturity in caridina is more dependent on the size of the shrimp rather than the age of the shrimp.

I guess this information for me is so A. I don't sell or trade shrimp with people that are way too young/small and B. So I know when I should cull the shrimp with characteristics I don't want. 

Sexual maturity is usually around 2-4(neos), 3-5(caridina) months depending on how fast they grow. There is no fixed time as to when they'll reach sexual maturity. 

As far as selling/trading shrimp, the answer should be pretty obvious. Put yourself in the buyers shoe. What size do you feel is appropriate? 

Some people even ship 1/4" or smaller which is newborn to like 2 weeks old to make a quick buck but it will damage your reputation in the long run. 

3 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Sexual maturity is usually around 2-4(neos), 3-5(caridina) months depending on how fast they grow. There is no fixed time as to when they'll reach sexual maturity. 

As far as selling/trading shrimp, the answer should be pretty obvious. Put yourself in the buyers shoe. What size do you feel is appropriate? 

Some people even ship 1/4" or smaller which is newborn to like 2 weeks old to make a quick buck but it will damage your reputation in the long run. 

Yeah that makes sense, I would keep them all if I could, but my colony is growing a lot faster than I anticipated...hahaha

On 5/14/2017 at 5:49 AM, joeyb347 said:

Wow!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah it's pretty crazy, just noticed another berried one not berried now, and a new shrimp is berried..seeing lots of potential in this new batch!