Crystals at LFS: Are they decent?

afeather

EDIT: **I just noticed I posted this in the wrong help board. Please move, sorry!

I currently only keep neos, but noticed my LFS started selling Crystal shrimp for $7.99 each. My iPhone failed at getting quality close up photos of them, but just from what you can tell from tank environment, price, etc, are they decent? I've always thought maybe in the future I'll keep RCS so just curious if this could be an option.db216cec9847214af57601786714cf33.jpgc117334485c7de0b5106b3658a3ab76c.jpgc281b6555b0c86bae7a4fa2874b3188d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the lfs tank setup, its not a good idea. Clearly the tank is bare (should have the right substrate), the moss is dead (why?) and who knows what else.  You can get homebred crs for much cheaper and way healthier from members here... When your ready there are multiple sources that will provide you with healthy crs. Hope this helps!

Right?? I thought the same: why is the moss dead? And the water is yellow... i of course liked the idea of saving the shrimp the stress of shipping, but realized TheShrimpTank had a way better deal for Crystals and I see users here post them frequently. I'm sure the quality would be way worth it. Thank you all! Poor LFS shrimpies :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While i also agree homebred shrimp from any of the members here is a much better idea, the LFS is doing something right:

The "dead moss" is peat moss which discolors the water (tannins), and lowers the ph. So they are trying to do something correct....

$7.99 is expensive though!