Happy/Sad result of Berried shrimp!

Well, it was my first time having a berried shrimp 3 days ago! hooray~

It was her first time, so I was excited, but I did remember seeing posts about how there is a chance for them to lose the eggs.

Day 1: I saw her fanning her eggs or... moving them around in her skirt. She tried tucking them back in, but one of them fell out as she tucked some in. 

Day 2: She lost half the eggs that were barely tucked in. Only the eggs deep inside the skirt were staying.

Day 3: She has only one egg left xD She is still kinda... fanning it? I am not sure if this is normal behavior? She keeps trying to push it back in.

She.... was quite adventurous for a temporary berried mama. She tried to swim up to a floating almond leaf and graze on it >.<''

Wish she would have taken it a bit easy...

I am glad that all my shrimp have successfully molted and had my first berried mom! It means I am doing something right >:O

wish me luck for her next batch! Hopefully she learns xD

thanks to members who gave me a lot of advice and criticism in the past posts.

My first hatches were in a 1 gallon and they all did real well. I had 2 males 6 females, all of which were juvenile and matured then berried in 2 weeks of each other.

The generation that hatched from the 1 gal I moved to a 5 gallon and I watched them do exactly as you've described. 

Kinda ridiculous how many fry I pulled out of the 1 gallon(over 200) compared to shrimp losing their eggs and needing to gain experience carrying eggs in the 5 gallon.

I had another batch coming out of my 1 gallon that I moved to a 10 gallon which doesn't seem to be doing much better than the ones that went to the 5.

In the 1g they had no place to go, and nothing to do but make babies. And in the larger tanks I guess there's just too much to see and do to bother with havin' kids.

That happened with me when I first started my colony too, saw one shrimp berried, super excited, next day only saw a couple of berries left. Then none. 

However the same shrimp, in a week or two showed up berried again! and carried it all the way through to the end and got my first batch of CRS babies! just hang in there!

The fact that she got berried means you're doing something right! I see a lot of users on here who try to add "breeding stimulants", water additives, etc whenever "something unexpected" happens. Keep your parameters stable and to their liking and they will breed!

Ya it happens sometimes with young females who are carrying their first clutch.  She should berry up again soon! 

14 hours ago, FishRFriendz said:

My first hatches were in a 1 gallon and they all did real well. I had 2 males 6 females, all of which were juvenile and matured then berried in 2 weeks of each other.

The generation that hatched from the 1 gal I moved to a 5 gallon and I watched them do exactly as you've described. 

Kinda ridiculous how many fry I pulled out of the 1 gallon(over 200) compared to shrimp losing their eggs and needing to gain experience carrying eggs in the 5 gallon.

I had another batch coming out of my 1 gallon that I moved to a 10 gallon which doesn't seem to be doing much better than the ones that went to the 5.

In the 1g they had no place to go, and nothing to do but make babies. And in the larger tanks I guess there's just too much to see and do to bother with havin' kids.

AH yes. I have a ten gallon tank with only 2 males and 2 females. The males have a hard time finding the females. xD Wow, I never expected the size of the tank to make a big difference with their capability of holding their eggs. :o

11 hours ago, ddd_sss said:

That happened with me when I first started my colony too, saw one shrimp berried, super excited, next day only saw a couple of berries left. Then none. 

However the same shrimp, in a week or two showed up berried again! and carried it all the way through to the end and got my first batch of CRS babies! just hang in there!

The fact that she got berried means you're doing something right! I see a lot of users on here who try to add "breeding stimulants", water additives, etc whenever "something unexpected" happens. Keep your parameters stable and to their liking and they will breed!

:o yes! Thank you! I cant help, but be excited for shrimp fry. However, I try to keep my expectations minimal xD until my females get up to their 3rd berry.

I did not know it was possible for them to berry up so quickly! That is another lesson for me. I think my magic was the indian almond leaves! I have been checking all my parameters each day and so far so good! 

I am superrrr happy that all of my shrimps have had successful molts. I think I was quite worried about molting problems.

4 hours ago, OblongShrimp said:

Ya it happens sometimes with young females who are carrying their first clutch.  She should berry up again soon! 

:D yay! I had my other female berry up for her first time too! It is interesting to see how both of them produced a different number of eggs! 

Also, I ended up taking the females from the 1g that had hatched out 2 clutches and moved them to larger tanks, and watched them lose their eggs when they berried up. I've sworn to always keep new shrimp I order in the 1g tanks till I have a fresh generation to drop into bigger tanks. Safer to quickly get to a big population than risk losing the initial starter group waiting around for 2 attempts.

There's so much anti-pico tank on the web. Always claiming it's hard to keep params steady... meh. When ppl post anti about it, I just keep my mouth shut and keep doin what works for me.

1 hour ago, FishRFriendz said:

Also, I ended up taking the females from the 1g that had hatched out 2 clutches and moved them to larger tanks, and watched them lose their eggs when they berried up. I've sworn to always keep new shrimp I order in the 1g tanks till I have a fresh generation to drop into bigger tanks. Safer to quickly get to a big population than risk losing the initial starter group waiting around for 2 attempts.

There's so much anti-pico tank on the web. Always claiming it's hard to keep params steady... meh. When ppl post anti about it, I just keep my mouth shut and keep doin what works for me.

I think different things work for different people, I started with a 2.5  nano planted for my shrimp, started with about 15, Only 1 female ever got berried and gave birth.so i had about 15 adults and 20 ish babies...Slowly over a 2 month period I lost them all.

Got a 12 gallon long...and they're breeding non-stop...3 months since i started I'm counting over 60 babies and 6 more berried! 

This is one of the reasons I love this hobby, the "new" experiences are never ending you'll always encounter something different from another shrimp keeper!

I guess it really just is whatever works for you!.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, FishRFriendz said:

Considering the situation you were in with your shrimps, I would say that is a very smart move! I would not have actually thought of that. I am actually going to take notes of that for future reference if I plan on buying diff shrimp!!! 

On 5/19/2017 at 10:24 AM, ddd_sss said:

I think different things work for different people, I started with a 2.5  nano planted for my shrimp, started with about 15, Only 1 female ever got berried and gave birth.so i had about 15 adults and 20 ish babies...Slowly over a 2 month period I lost them all.

Got a 12 gallon long...and they're breeding non-stop...3 months since i started I'm counting over 60 babies and 6 more berried! 

This is one of the reasons I love this hobby, the "new" experiences are never ending you'll always encounter something different from another shrimp keeper!

I guess it really just is whatever works for you!.

Wow, that is also interesting. Im not sure how my shrimps would have done in a smaller tank. but, the new experiences you speak of is one of the reasons why I love this hobby too! :D