Crusty says Hi

Crustyjoe

Hello all,

My name is Jona from germany,  I got the "virus" around 2 years ago, starting with a few cherrys, growing slowly in to a 140 gal system with 6 tanks divided into 19 compartments for cards. All my tanks are connected, so its the same water in every tank, makes it easy to switch tanks and sort the shrimps. Some people would say this is a crazy thing to do, but works for me .The main reason to do so, is the easy water change. My weekly change with 65 gal takes me maybe 25 min, I only have to open 2 valves and switch two buttons.  Some day when i find the time to install it, even this will be done by computer :D

I also have a 4 part tank with neos, also connected, mybe you see this one in the diy some time 

I like to know how people in other countries breed their shrimps, thats why I joined the shrimpspot. Just have to sort out all the short terms you are using, some differ from the german, that could maybe end with the  wrong crossbreeding  ;) 

not sure how to insert pics into text, but attached you can see my tanks, had to fit them into my small basement, thats why i can only use a fisheye to get it on one picture, not much space left there :) .

the real nerds will notice the free space for future expansion of the system, first tank has been delivered already, the other one I glue myself next week.....

IMG_2001.JPG

5 hours ago, Undershrimp said:

Hello Jona and welcome from the US! Nice setup there! Is that reverse UGF you are running on those tanks?

all upper  tanks have UGF, but they are not reversed, they are used as overflow, all overflows lead to the lowest tanks, after passing HMF  it is pumped back  though a distributor to the tanks again.... 

maybe u get the idea better with the picture :)

IMG_4158.JPG

Welcome Jona! Beautiful setup, we are glad to have you.

So did you connect the overflows to the undergravel filter as a way of keeping shrimp from getting into the overflows?  I really like that idea!  I keep my overflows behind the HFM filter but undergravel would be cheaper and better at keeping them away I think.

On 5/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Crustyjoe said:

Hello all,

My name is Jona from germany,  I got the "virus" around 2 years ago, starting with a few cherrys, growing slowly in to a 140 gal system with 6 tanks divided into 19 compartments for cards. All my tanks are connected, so its the same water in every tank, makes it easy to switch tanks and sort the shrimps. Some people would say this is a crazy thing to do, but works for me .The main reason to do so, is the easy water change. My weekly change with 65 gal takes me maybe 25 min, I only have to open 2 valves and switch two buttons.  Some day when i find the time to install it, even this will be done by computer :D

I also have a 4 part tank with neos, also connected, mybe you see this one in the diy some time 

I like to know how people in other countries breed their shrimps, thats why I joined the shrimpspot. Just have to sort out all the short terms you are using, some differ from the german, that could maybe end with the  wrong crossbreeding  ;) 

not sure how to insert pics into text, but attached you can see my tanks, had to fit them into my small basement, thats why i can only use a fisheye to get it on one picture, not much space left there :) .

the real nerds will notice the free space for future expansion of the system, first tank has been delivered already, the other one I glue myself next week.....

IMG_2001.JPG