mulberry question.

So, as we all know, mulberry leaves can be use for shrimps as a food source. as a lesser known fact though, there is a toxin in the fresh leaves yet we all still feed out shrimp fresh picked dried green leaves too. does the sun drying actually neutralize the toxin, or...?

No, dry, fallen leaves ain't an option for me. I can only get green leaves here.

Looking thru my herb books the sap in the plant and unripe berries while still wet is mildly toxic to mammals including humans causing digestive upset.  Fresh leaves can be dried in a dark place with plenty of airflow.  Drying the the absence of light preserves more nutrients.  Drying on a line with clothes pins and a small fan will work or in an oven at about 120-140 F (48-60C) will also save the most nutrition.  16 different species of Mulberry with amino acids,carotenoids, flavonoids, chlorophyll, Vitamins A,C,B1,B2, B6

4 minutes ago, oem said:

Looking thru my herb books the sap in the plant and unripe berries while still wet is mildly toxic to mammals including humans causing digestive upset.  Fresh leaves can be dried in a dark place with plenty of airflow.  Drying the the absence of light preserves more nutrients.  Drying on a line with clothes pins and a small fan will work or in an oven at about 120-140 F (48-60C) will also save the most nutrition.  16 different species of Mulberry with amino acids,carotenoids, flavonoids, chlorophyll, Vitamins A,C,B1,B2, B6

it is quite fascinating really... so drying it in an oven will make them safe for my shrimps?

39 minutes ago, dazalea said:

I only use dry leaves. I've not come across anyone who uses Mulberry while its fresh. Get your green leaves and sun dry them.

so they are safe when they have been sun/oven dried?

I'd rather sun dry, saves electricity :P

4 minutes ago, dazalea said:

Yes sun dried has never been a problem for me :)

In that case... hehehe, time to fatten up my shrimps :P ... hopefully not overfeed them... that wouldn't be very good... kinda think they don't like the spinach I gave them very much.