Saltwater Shrimp and Invert Tank

ctaylor3737

High5,

As you know in the wild they are killed by trigger fish, puffers , octopus and imagine few other animals so they are skittish . In captivity they realize that there are no predators and become "arrogant".

I have seen footage of them killing eels and other thing's that try to eat them And the mantis eats them. Under water honey badger don't give a *bleep*

That guy was lucky that he wasn't hurt worse . I don't know why he would complain considering he was looking to get hit.

Gabor,

I sent you his name/link.

High5,

I saw a youtube video on one killing a blue ring octopus which I would have never thought could happen. Though blue rings are small , this was not an adult blue ring perhaps that is why but either way interesting

I don't know how to post the link but there is one which Chris might enjoy called "Mantis shrimp destroyed my filter"  .  The guys mantis took it upon himself to destroy the filter and he smashed it up .

They didn't show what the mantis did to that guys finger but I bet you it was split open or broken. Why would you put your finger in front of a animal that can move so fast when It strikes it creates a hyper sonic shock wave?

You could but if it's small but once he/she gets around 5+ inches, I'd move him to a bigger acrylic tank with a lil refugium, bio pellet reactor and a protein skimmer. Sometimes they tunnel threw the live rock and break it up, this is why reef tank people really dislike them and they in time will kill everything in the tank.

Has anyone ever seen the yellow mantis ?

For some reason I am not able to copy/paste in the forum but I can on PM's so sent soothing the link. Asking him to post it.

It shows the commonly available mantis .  

Country,

There is a 3 inch mantis which is sometimes for sale , pretty little green might be perfect for smaller tank .The link I asked soothing to post has it .  It says they are often found in live rock but I have never seen one . The mantis I had in rock were different looking .

Yea I've seen both and the peacock is the better looking of the bunch. Both are equally deadly lol but I like the colors.

Soothing ,

Thank you . It is a good link as it specifies the glass breaking mantis which IMO should be avoided because even in an acrylic tank they scratch it to shreds and mess up the view.

Chris,

Your area pet store carries the yellow mantis?    I have seen them all but never the yellow which looks very nice .