Saltwater Shrimp and Invert Tank

ctaylor3737

Shrimpo,

The look of the refugium itself never mind the main tank is a nice look. It reminds me of the shallow grassy inlet where I used to see horse's as a kid . I would have liked to keep a main tank with the refugium look .

I don't know anyone who kept them , have only seem them in pet stores but I was under the impression that the algae could crash and this was why people relied on other means of filtration(perhaps because caulerpa was what was used when they first came out)  , also that you needed some type carbon/etc media or the water in main tank would get a slight green tinge.

The "Berlin method" which is skimmer and live rock , filter or powerhead for circulation was the highest tech I ever had (worked very well) because under gravel filters or box filters with bio media were pretty much it when the hobby began .

I started with UG filter in a 55 but had a 20 long with box filters for pair of harlequin shrimp . Later added skimmers to both tanks but archaic air driven skimmers by todays standards .

High5,

I had forgotten that they got to that size . The one's I dealt with were about 2 to 3 inches .  I have never seen a full grown 6 inch mantis . You should set up a 10 gallon ,etc  and get another one .

The algae crash as far as I know applies to Caulerpa specie when it goes from asexual to sexual, when the algae is about to die it releases gametes that grows in other parts of the tank, but that happens only if conditions are not right for the algae. I only use Chaeto algae and trim it regularly.

Shrimpo,

Ahhh I see when they stated refugiums it was only caulerpa which was used .  I am not familiar with chaeto.

Elo,

I find the refugium set up as nice and certainly natural looking as a "regular" tank set up .  I think a tank in itself set up like a refugium would be great.

Gabor,

There is someone in the forum who breeds sexy shrimp .  Let me see if I can look them up , perhaps others here might remember the thread .  I kept harlequin but as you know starfish eaters .

Shrimpo,

Oh yea the refugium type set up is perfect for sea horses. I used to find sea horses in the late 70s in marsh areas just like that by the beach .  The 80s and the beach front hotel constructions destroyed the grass marsh areas .

Country,

Yes in the 80s much of Miami was built up due to incredible revenue that hit Miami (Drug lords) and some spectacular areas for nature were destroyed.  The beach hotels did not expand into the water itself but the areas was made beach goer friendly thus what I call 'marsh areas' were destroyed and turned into sand only beach .

Thankfully Key West did not allow this and sea horses oasis (protected) thrive there .

The marsh area was not only a place for sea horses but tiny octopus and lots interesting small marine fish.   Miami still has that but 80% are gone.

Like the song goes "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" .

Chris,

That is yours you just got him?   Looks like a trouble maker , lol.

Unfortunately no I have not got him yet. Tanks running though, hopefully I'll be able to get this guy!

Yea man it's kinda creepy how they watch you. Its like their analyzing the situation at all time. Probably why I like them

There really are looking to see what you doing and thinking how do I react, maybe telepathically saying? [you want some of this?] I know they can see way more color's than we can and have better much better vision than us. Being psycho analyzed by a crustacean is really creepy , with there kick but and take name's later attitude. makes them very intriguing

They would rather go on you than run away there very aggressive they kill each other defending there burrows. I'm sure they are always looking for trouble and they don't avoid it species on species. You get to close BAM!

High5,

As you know in the wild they are killed by trigger fish, puffers , octopus and imagine few other animals so they are skittish . In captivity they realize that there are no predators and become "arrogant".

Several in a tank with uncured live rock which is cycling will kill each other if you put a piece of shrimp in a baby food jar and secure it so they cant steal it but it takes too long for only 1 to remain . Though you do see some amazing fights .

When the smasher (dull color) killed the much more colorful slasher .  He than looked at me like saying 'you are next" and that was when I knew I was dealing with evil , lol.

I wonder in the wild how much territory one mantis holds because they don't like company .

Has anyone ever seen the bright yellow mantis ?   I have never seen them other than youtube but they certainly are very pretty.  Imagine from the Pacific but not sure .