Cuttlebone question

Umbra

so, over here we have very soft water, around 80 TDS, no idea what the GH or KH is, and im experiencing issues. I am currently waiting for my store to get some SS GH/KH+ back in stock but I got a cuttlebone in the meantime. would the cuttlebone help the shrimp molt atleast a little better until I get the proper remineralizing stuff?

Thanks for any help :)

3 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

are you going to use RO water with the SS GH/KH+ ?

if you are going to use the SS with tap water, then you need to know the gh & kh first.

Aye, I'll use it with RO water.

6 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

perfect!

haha, or atleast close to perfect :) Oh, regarding my original question about the cuttlebone, what do you think? Would it support my shrimp's mineral needs for a while, while I wait for the store to restock?

6 minutes ago, chappy6107 said:

I am not a fan of using the cuttlebone because I dont know at what rate the cuttlebone dissolves and if the minerals will add up to more than what my shrimp will need.

Ah, I see.

I have used cuttlebone in my shrimp and snail only tanks. PH is 6.5 and have not seen a rise in KH or TDS.  The bone has not noticeably gotten smaller and I have seen my shrimp on the bone from time to time but not sure if it was due to the minerals or the algae growing on it.  Just make sure if you decide to get some to make sure it is pure and not adulterated with vitamins for birds.  Really not sure if it helps but has not done any harm to my shrimp.

28 minutes ago, oem said:

I have used cuttlebone in my shrimp and snail only tanks. PH is 6.5 and have not seen a rise in KH or TDS.  The bone has not noticeably gotten smaller and I have seen my shrimp on the bone from time to time but not sure if it was due to the minerals or the algae growing on it.  Just make sure if you decide to get some to make sure it is pure and not adulterated with vitamins for birds.  Really not sure if it helps but has not done any harm to my shrimp.

I left a piece of plain cuttlebone in a 50 mill container with water of around 130 tds. the next morning, I tested the TDS again and it was raised to 232.
The tank water before adding the bone was 143. After adding the bone, leaving it overnight, the TDS raised to 146. today it is 152, and three of my shrimp have moulted with no problems...

Lol, I thought you might find this interesting to read. Thanks for the help tho :)

Thanks, that is interesting.  That's the problem with natural materials.  Depending on the environment they lived in there is no consistency to gauge their composition or possible effect.  Really hope you folks in S.A. and other countries get some quality products available. 

2 hours ago, oem said:

Thanks, that is interesting.  That's the problem with natural materials.  Depending on the environment they lived in there is no consistency to gauge their composition or possible effect.  Really hope you folks in S.A. and other countries get some quality products available. 

Thanks man, And I appreciate it :) Also, I agree what you say about the consistency  of natural materials.+