DIY RO remineralizer?

So I am curious... How can I make a DIY Ro water remineralizer? Buying the stuff is expensive... making it is probably much cheaper, not to mention I actually personally really like making stuff and mixing stuff myself.

If I get calcium chloride, magnesium sulphate and some sodium bicarbonate, mix them at 50 percent calcium chloride, 30 percent magnesium sulphate and 20 percent sodium bicarbonate (By volume), could it end up being a suitable remineralizer?

Hi Umbra, I have diyed from a recipe from the Shrimp Keepers Forum before and it didnt work when I started with shrimp and was very the much same products that you have listed.

if one spend so much money on Caridina shrimp its not worth taking short cuts. Rather get SSGh+ if you going to keep Caridina shrimp. It goes a long way.

its the Chlorides in the products that aint good for them

7 hours ago, Maurice said:

Hi Umbra, I have diyed from a recipe from the Shrimp Keepers Forum before and it didnt work when I started with shrimp and was very the much same products that you have listed.

if one spend so much money on Caridina shrimp its not worth taking short cuts. Rather get SSGh+ if you going to keep Caridina shrimp. It goes a long way.

its the Chlorides in the products that aint good for them

Lol, I don't keep Cardinas. and it's EXTREMEMLY hard to get any of SS's products here :( What was wrong with the DIY mixture you used?

1 hour ago, chappy6107 said:

maybe since @Maurice is from S. Africa as well he can tell you where to get it.

Aye, and I know where I can get SS products. Like I said above though, I would really like to make my own too as I really love experimenting and making things, just incase of emergency.

10 minutes ago, Chadfarmer said:

Bulk reef supply

In that case, no, I never even knew they existed. Never found anything like that over here in SA

1 hour ago, Umbra said:

In that case, no, I never even knew they existed. Never found anything like that over here in SA

48 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Remineralizers for shrimp isn't about just GH and KH values.

They have specific CA to MG levels which likely match their natural environment.

Improper levels can result in molting issues and coloration.

I'm interested in this as well. Curiosity more than anything. I have heard that some products are repackaged marine supplements. I have access to ordering most types of reef products at cost.

1 hour ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Remineralizers for shrimp isn't about just GH and KH values.

They have specific CA to MG levels which likely match their natural environment.

Improper levels can result in molting issues and coloration.

That's exactly what I asked but so far no one has been helping me with figuring out those levels and I'm getting a little bothered by it.

9 minutes ago, Umbra said:

That's exactly what I asked but so far no one has been helping me with figuring out those levels and I'm getting a little bothered by it.

If we knew, we wouldn't be buying SS GH or SS GH/KH+.

No one wants to pay $50 for $5 worth of ferts people can buy themselves.

What you're asking for is something 99.99% of shrimpers don't know.

5 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

If we knew, we wouldn't be buying SS GH or SS GH/KH+.

No one wants to pay $50 for $5 worth of ferts people can buy themselves.

What you're asking for is something 99.99% of shrimpers don't know.

lol, I'm asking the 0.01 percent who do know.

30 minutes ago, Shrimple minded said:

This... is what I have been waiting for :) Thank you, I appreciate it!

To the others... what's that you said about 99.99 percent of all members not knowing a recipe? Lol Aye...

Again, thanks for the help, shrimple Minded, this is super helpful!

12 minutes ago, Umbra said:

This... is what I have been waiting for :) Thank you, I appreciate it!

To the others... what's that you said about 99.99 percent of all members not knowing a recipe? Lol Aye...

Again, thanks for the help, shrimple Minded, this is super helpful!

Surprisingly that formula is rather similar to SS GH/KH +

Almost an exact in terms of Ca and Mg amount.

Also that forum appears to be Australian shrimpers and people from US most likely won't be checking their forum daily.

This formula isn't on any US shrimp/plant forum.

1 hour ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Surprisingly that formula is rather similar to SS GH/KH +

Almost an exact in terms of Ca and Mg amount.

Also that forum appears to be Australian shrimpers and people from US most likely won't be checking their forum daily.

This formula isn't on any US shrimp/plant forum.

what's the SS Gh/Kh+ Formula? And how do you guys know it? I'm really interested in knowing :)

1 minute ago, OMG Aquatics said:

Buy SS GH/KH+. Use it in rodi water and get the water tested?

easy over there, but not over here. pet shops dont test their water here so I can't ask them nor can I buy tests because they are over 200 dollars.

in all honesty, It'd just be easier to tell me, lol.

Just now, Umbra said:

easy over there, but not over here. pet shops dont test their water here so I can't ask them nor can I buy tests because they are over 200 dollars.

in all honesty, It'd just be easier to tell me, lol.

No one knows the exact formula. Testing can only give us estimates of which minerals being used to create the remineralizer. 

Pretty sure no pet shop in the US offers testing to find the exact minerals. It's just pH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

2 minutes ago, OMG Aquatics said:

No one knows the exact formula. Testing can only give us estimates of which minerals being used to create the remineralizer. 

Pretty sure no pet shop in the US offers testing to find the exact minerals. It's just pH, GH, KH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

Ah, I see. The way you said "Surprisingly that formula is rather similar to SS GH/KH +, Almost exact in terms of Ca and Mg count" Made me think you knew the formula. If you know that much, what's the difference between the formula given and the one you know? (since you used the word "Similar")

Remineralizers consist of pretty much just Ca and Mg. I've had the SS GH/KH+ tested for Ca and Mg and the values are almost exact same as the ones given on the Australian forum.

As far as what else is added, I'm not interested in cashing out big money just for a water test to get the exact formula. 

I've been using my own formula for quite some time now since I'm running low on SS GH/KH+ and so far have not seen any color issues or molting issues.