7.5g Neoglow cube

Luva

I came across some ridiculous AqueonNeoGlow aquarium kits while shopping for a cube style tank. And decided to order the pink 7.5 gallon. I don't usually go for kits for the reasons we all know. But the tank itself had some things I liked. Looked like it could be easily upgraded, black back wall and I had to have that neon pink silicone!!:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I plan on doing the usual eventual upgrades (filter, lights, heater etc.)

I also ordered a Zoomednano canister filter. I have never used one before. But since I have tried everything else, why not. Still searching for a light.

The plan is for it to be a very synthetic aquascape. Maybe only moss for living plants, white Carib sea Crystal river sand and I am going to make porcelain sculptures to go inside eventually. All else will be bright and fake. 

Any suggestions/advice appreciated. Thanx!

empty7gcube.jpg

Zoomed Nano10 installed and running. All the fun fake stuff put it. And some inhabitants. Luva my gentle betta has been living in it. With a dwarf blue cray, 4 Neo shrimp and a Ramshorn snail. I have never kept inverts with fish other than an otto before, so let's see how this goes. If he can't hang then I will move him. But so far he hasn't been harassing or killing anyone. Just stealing the shrimp cuisine pellets like a piggy. Will be getting more different food soon. So hopefully this won't always be happening. 

7.5glowpinkscape.jpg

newroomiesforluva.jpg

23 hours ago, chappy6107 said:

that pink silicone cracks me up.  glad you are having fun with it

I'm having so much fun with it. 

Small update. Found half a shrimp in the bottom today. And haven't seen any others. I hope they are smart and just hiding. I removed the betta. He was also not happy anyway. The water flow was too strong for him at the top. Which was making him hang around too much at the bottom. This tank is now officially inverts only!!

I've added some 6 amano shrimp and the tiniest baby golden mystery snail I have ever seen. Lost 2 amanos, one molted so I decided to check things to be sure and my PH is 6!! Not good. 

So working on trying to get this back to normal (tap 7.2ish) also waiting on a hardness kit to see if the deal API strips were telling the truth that I'm at 0gh/0kh

2 hours ago, OMG Aquatics said:

I hope you're not keeping shrimp and snail at 0 GH/KH.

Neocaridina shrimp neocaridina shrimp need a GH around 6-8 and a KH of around 1-4 to prevent pH swings and pH from dropping to 6 like you have experienced.

I am certainly not intending to! I've never had this problem before. Years ago when I kept Neo shrimp and snails the water out of the tap was perfect. So I was a bit spoiled by that. I should be getting my test kit soon. But am trying to figure how to fix this slowly to avoid shock.  Whatever Gh/kh upping mixture I make should I mix it in a separate container and drip it into the tank (like reverse acclimation)?

41 minutes ago, Luva said:

I am certainly not intending to! I've never had this problem before. Years ago when I kept Neo shrimp and snails the water out of the tap was perfect. So I was a bit spoiled by that. I should be getting my test kit soon. But am trying to figure how to fix this slowly to avoid shock.  Whatever Gh/kh upping mixture I make should I mix it in a separate container and drip it into the tank (like reverse acclimation)?

It would be easier to just remove all the livestock and add the GH/KH mixture directly into tank then acclimate the livestock into the new tank parameter.