1st canister filter advice

I am using a canister filter for the first time and just wondering if anyone had advice on maximizing it's performance. I have the ZooMed Nano 10 filter on a 7.5g tank for a betta and inverts. I don't use carbon on my tanks so I took that out. I put in the bio rings that came with it and a small bag of bio max from another cycled tank. I have treated it with Seachem stability as well. I was thinking maybe to add a small bag of purigen since I'm not planning on having much plant life in this tank. My tap is 7.2 PH. I don't think it needs much buffering (waiting on a test kit) My substrate is CaribseaCrystal River sand. So no buffering there

Thanx in advance.

if you can,remove the tube inside.

fill it with denitrate.

on both sides,put polyfill, on top,leave a little space above the polyfill.

purigen and bio rings will work for a small tank,but if you use a low GPH canister,why not have it help with removing nitrates?;)

once bacteria and stuff builds up,GPH could drop under 50,which is good.

7 hours ago, zodiac said:

if you can,remove the tube inside.

fill it with denitrate.

on both sides,put polyfill, on top,leave a little space above the polyfill.

purigen and bio rings will work for a small tank,but if you use a low GPH canister,why not have it help with removing nitrates?;)

once bacteria and stuff builds up,GPH could drop under 50,which is good.

Is denitrate another type of bio media? Is it like siporax? I vaguely remember there being such a thing for fluidized bed filtration. But all were really big. 

Is the tube side you are referring to the compartment with the sponge? 

yeah,but it's not man made.

it's pumice rock.

small size holds more bacteria per space of the filter,but needs a slower flow rate.

55 minutes ago, Luva said:

Is the tube side you are referring to the compartment with the sponge? 

yes.

The denitrate is from Seachem! Which means I can order it from work:jig:

Trying to find where I can get the polyfil stuff. 

I have a coarse sponge over the intake thing. I was hoping it would slow things down some. It doesn't seem like it. So I just have to be patient, I guess.

Thank you so much for your advice.

Edited by Luva

Oh ok. Just regular old polyfil. Got it. I'm kind of nervous about opening this thing. I'm kinda derpy and I dont want flood my apt/siphon out my tank. I have to find some step by step instructions somewhere. The paper that came with it doesn't say much.