Shrimp Genetics neocaridina

Hi Guys,

I want to make a YouTube video about genetics/culling on neocaridina so I have to do some research. If you look at the attached picture, I have some questions:

1. A cherry shrimp come from a wild shrimp? So how does it become a cherry shrimp?

1.1 If i want to breed red cherry shrimp into red rili, what do I need to do?

1.2 If I have done that how do I keep that line strong and maintain the color?

2. Lets say I want to breed green jades (what do I need to do to get them?)

3. Do you need to add new blood to your shrimp if you started with 10+ shrimp?

4. What colors breeds true (meaning if I have this line, they will most probably stay that color)?

I have loads more questions, but I don't want to overwhelm anyone. If you dont know the answer, maybe you can point me in the direction of someone that does?

Thanks in advance

neo_family_tree.jpg

1. Cherry shrimp come from a reddish variant of the wildtype Neocaridina davidi. They were slowly and carefully selected for deeper and bolder reds and bred together until they became the cherry shrimp you see today.
1.1 red rili is a mutation from cherry, which means it is a change to the genome that causes a difference in pigment deposition. So rili shrimp can only be bred from rili mutants!
1.2 keep the color strong comes down to selecting for the best shrimp in the colony and line breeding. Also adding new blood from other sources will limit genetic defects from inbreeding.
2. Green jades are a mutation of Orange neos, so you'd have to be breeding orange shrimp and select for the most green shrimp, or those showing the mutation.
3. New blood is always good, as mentioned, less inbreeding effects = healthier shrimp
4. Most colors will breed true given the line has been bred for a while. I've seen Bloody Mary colonies that require no culling and others that throw chocolate or diamond shrimp like every 4-5 offspring.

Hope this helps.

I guess my best advice for success in breeding has always been get a TDS meter. Super useful when used correctly and gives a nice snapshot of tank health and stability. In combination with a RODI unit and remineralizer, it's easy to succeed (if you do your homework on the proper parameters for your shrimp!).

• 1 month later...

Bump. Update on the video?

Also, I made this correction to the chart above in response to a comment recently in a Facebook shrimp group. I got a lot of positive responses and confirmation about the info I presented. Hopefully it is of some help.